PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Steering Stabilizer

jrb737
05-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Hello all,

For those of you that have a steering stabilizer on their 400ex, do you recommend them? If so what brand and are they difficult to install? Any pics would be great.

Thanks for the advice,

Jeff

05-21-2009, 04:47 PM
the ccp stabilizer off ebay seems to be the way to go. it is rebuildable and only $160. VERY similar to those $450 precisions

procircuit406ex
05-21-2009, 05:23 PM
There is a night and day difference between the 2. Precision is the way to go

416exman21
05-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Precision are very good but costly--- i had 1 on my banshee before i sold it- on my 416 i got a rebuildable denton and it seems just as good for cheaper........

hypersnyper6947
05-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by 416exman21
Precision are very good but costly--- i had 1 on my banshee before i sold it- on my 416 i got a rebuildable denton and it seems just as good for cheaper........

Is the denton you have stick or puck style?

416exman21
05-21-2009, 10:36 PM
the regular stick i guess u would call it -- nothing special--- it was $150 and pretty good-- i miss my other 1:(-- i paid like $500 and it was great....Precision is the better of the 2

ae13291
05-21-2009, 11:25 PM
precison the way to go

BikeSwimLaugh
05-21-2009, 11:28 PM
I just installed the Streamline Billetanium Steering Stabilizer, I went with the rebuildable unit, about $140

Very easy to install, took me about 15 minutes. If I had to do it again, I could do it in 4 minutes. It has 7 positions of adjustments and certainly seems like it should do the trick.

In doing some research I stumbled onto several threads on other forums where riders offered reasonably good feedback on the unit. Of course the $500 units are said to be much better, but I've read too many reviews from owner/riders who say the Streamline works just great and is very ideal for trail and fun riding.

I haven't taken mine out yet, still waiting for fresh rubber (tires) to arrive before I'm rolling again. Having no comparison or much riding experience, I probably won't be able to offer much in the way of solid review of the product....but for roughly 1/4 the price I sincerely doubt it's 1/4 the product, but then again....???

hypersnyper6947
05-22-2009, 12:56 AM
I think for the average weekend warrior rider a stick stabilizer should suffice, that is another thing on my never ending list of things to buy for my quad :D

DirtMonkey
05-22-2009, 06:32 AM
I rode my friends 450 with a stick stabalizer and it was night and day. Then I rode one with a precision and there was a difference there to. Its what your wallet can handle.

shok47
05-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Is there a difference between stabilizer and dampener? I have a PEP stabilizer, doesnt attach to the front, but on the engine mount.

jrb737
05-22-2009, 12:23 PM
How long can I expect one of the Streamline's or similar product to last before having to rebuild it?

Snipe
05-22-2009, 12:52 PM
I have read lots up on these most seem to say a couple years. Depending on how much you use it. Def a buy im going to add for mine tired of the wore out forearms on long rides lol.

jrb737
05-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Ok, I went w/ the Streamline. I understand the instructions are pretty poor so anyone who has installed one, please give me some advice on where to attach and any "mods" you need to make to install it. I've read to use loc-tite and hose clamps to keep it from sliding around.

Thanks for any advice!!

BikeSwimLaugh
05-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by jrb737
How long can I expect one of the Streamline's or similar product to last before having to rebuild it?

I rebuild my steering stabilizer AFTER EACH RIDE.....

Nahhhh.....just kidding. :devil:

It's just a basic shock, I'm sure it'll last quite some time. If it's like the hydraulics on a convertible top, there's a very thin layer of oil that, like a residue, remains on the rod and over time the fluid may run dry. Depending on use, I'm sure it's a very infrequent rebuild time-frame.

The Streamline comes $20 cheaper for non re-buildable...so blow the $20 more to get the rebuildable model. I'm sure the Streamline isn't the Daddy-Mac of stabilizers, but it's a shock, it attaches easy enough and it definitely functionally works. I've read too many reviews from users who say it works just great...and 'great' is good enough for my weekend trail-riding butt. I don't catch much air and I'm hardly pushing the envelope when it comes to the performance potential of my quad. In fact, maybe I just bought it cause it looked cool and gave my A.A.D.S. a cheap high. :D

But seriously...last weekend I had clipped the sidewall on some nasty-sharp rocks and unbeknownst had a flat front left tire. While cruising on some relatively mellow section, my handlebars were torn from my hands and the quad, along with me, suddenly found ourselves blazing the bush along the side of the trail. The flat tire rolled on itself and somehow did the same thing as if my disc brake was yanked on that side. Had I installed a steering stabilizer, the accident may not have happened...so there's a margin of safety involved with this upgrade/accessory!

n811
05-23-2009, 07:52 AM
Once I put on a "stick" stabilizer I will never ride without one! But it does make the turning of the bars a bit more stiff. But its worth it!

jrb737
05-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Do you guys have any pics of how it is mounted? Also, did anyone do anything special to keep it from sliding around or does it mount up w/o sliding around as is?

tri5ron
05-23-2009, 10:09 AM
worth reading...
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=349366&highlight=steering

BikeSwimLaugh
05-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Wow....certainly a compelling arguement!!!

I went to ebay and couldn't find any such item. Let me guess, same thing cost upwards or $500 now?

tri5ron
05-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by BikeSwimLaugh
Wow....certainly a compelling arguement!!!

I went to ebay and couldn't find any such item. Let me guess, same thing cost upwards or $500 now?

Nope!, you can email him directly, and get it for $180-$190, something like that. (and I THINK that includes shipping!)

Speedy 400ex
05-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Here you go. This one will end soon, But save him in your sellers list.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching&item=290319034069&viewitem=&salenotsupported

Item number if the link doesn't work.

I'm thinking about getting one as part of my graduation front end package upgrade present.:D

BikeSwimLaugh
05-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Ahhhh crud; had I read this 2 weeks ago I had my original packaging and could return the Streamline, now it's on my quad and I haven't even ridden it yet.

Hmmm...wonder if the Streamline would fit on a 250EX easily? I'll have to see if the unit for the 250EX is the same unit as the 400EX, bet it is...

Speedy 400ex
05-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by BikeSwimLaugh
Ahhhh crud; had I read this 2 weeks ago I had my original packaging and could return the Streamline, now it's on my quad and I haven't even ridden it yet.

Hmmm...wonder if the Streamline would fit on a 250EX easily? I'll have to see if the unit for the 250EX is the same unit as the 400EX, bet it is...

Well good luck!

BikeSwimLaugh
05-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Well....good news across the board!!!

I found the guy and he'll ship me the part....everything including shipping for just $160, I'm buying one for my 400EX

As for the Streamline that I just installed on the 400EX, I'm going to move it onto my daughter's 90EX...I looked it over and I'm quite confident it'll fit...just gotta slide the bracket down the shock a bit. If not, I might be able to return it, I think my recycle bin in my workshop didn't go out in the trash last week and the guys at ATV-Galaxy (where I bought it from) are cool about returns...they want happy customers.

My first thought was to get the same puck-style stabilizer for my daughters 90EX, but he said he didn't have one for the 90EX, so I'll just transfer it over and it's better then nothing. I saw her get a bit jiggy when hitting uneven surfaces last time we rode, this ought to help a bit.

Thanks for the tip!!!

jrb737
05-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Hey Bikeswimlaugh, I contacted the guy also and he gave me the same deal. I am in the same boat you are except I should have my stick stabilizer from rocky mountain atv Wed. I got it for $130.00 shipped. Do you think it is worth it to pay the extra $30 for the puck style one from the guy from ebay and send the other one back to RCM Atv?

Jeff

whc
05-25-2009, 06:19 PM
if you can afford it go precision, I have done the stick type there ok, but they are no precision, the difference is noticable, mild b
ill

jrb737
05-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Does anyone know what is on the inside of the puck stabilizers then make them work? A spring, a small shock, hydraulics, pfm...HA ???

05-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Hey Bikeswimlaugh, I contacted the guy also and he gave me the same deal. I am in the same boat you are except I should have my stick stabilizer from rocky mountain atv Wed. I got it for $130.00 shipped. Do you think it is worth it to pay the extra $30 for the puck style one from the guy from ebay and send the other one back to RCM Atv?

Jeff

Fish out the extra $30. You will be happy

QuadJunkies
05-25-2009, 10:19 PM
I used the Denton stick style stabilizer for years and while they are an upgrade from having nothing, they are no where near being anything quality to an Elka or Precision. I have had to buy a stick style once a year and Im done. We have had two Precisions on our 450's and they are top notch. Im getting an Elka for my 440 soon. I tore my rotator and it took me over a year to have it feel good again , I gave my Daughter my Denton, as she blew her stick design one and needed it for a race .Im tired of these things blowing.
One thing I didnt like about the Gibson or Denton is that they still did not give enough stiffness IMO. I literally could have rode with TWO ,especially on sand .
Cant wait , my arms are dead from yesterdays ride .:p lol

Ive got 4 blown stick design ones in my garage right now and one thats bent .:ermm:
Spend a little more and get better quality.

QuadJunkies
05-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by n811
Once I put on a "stick" stabilizer I will never ride without one! But it does make the turning of the bars a bit more stiff. But its worth it!
My son rides his mini quad with his all the way up . lol :p

Thats whats nice about a Precision is all the adjustments ,you can adjust light for turns and a separate setting for straight aways.

BikeSwimLaugh
05-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Do you think it is worth it to pay the extra $30 for the puck style one from the guy from ebay and send the other one back to RCM Atv?

Jeff,

I read this thread and it convinced me: http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthr...hlight=steering

I just mounted my Streamline and haven't even ridden with it yet (waiting for new tires to come in)...but having read the above thread, I've decided to buy the puck-style. If I can fit the Streamline onto my daughter's 90EX, great...if not, I'll try to return it...if not, I'll sell it used.

Once you've had the handlebars yanked from your hands (resulting in a crash)....there's no reason to question getting "the good stuff" for your quad. As I see it, there's an aspect of safety involved here. I'm new to quads and having only ridden bikes the first thing I noticed was the affect when one tire (of the quad) encounters a force or obstacle that the other tire does not. On even surfaces its all consistent, but introduce an inbalance and you get some feedback along the lines of bump-steer or whatever. Unbeknownst to me, I had gashed a sidewall about a mile up the trail...coming down through a straight stretch the handlebars suddenly & violently got torn from my hands and I was immediately eating bush & crashing! I don't know if the tire hit a rock or just rolled over on its flat self....but a stabilizer would have given me a fighting chance to deal with it. I'm upgrading my front tires to Maxxis Razr2's (6-ply) AND getting a steering stabilizer....taking all measures to prevent that from happening again! :)

So to answer your question: hell yeah, return to sender and buy the puck-style!