PDA

View Full Version : Suspension confusion

Under Wood
05-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Need some advice from you guys that have been there. Riding a stock suspended 450r. Looking at upgrading the stock shocks. Do I go with dual rate springs first or get the valves changed. At this point the rear setup is working for me. Second If I go with the triple rate front, does that mean NPL ? With NPL will that make my rear to high ? Thanks for any suggestions. I am racing XC, wt 190lbs, Intermediate Rider.

fastredrider44
05-21-2009, 08:17 AM
My suggestion would be to have GT Thunder or Derisi Racing or someone like that to revalve and respring your shocks. Dual rate springs would help, but not near as much as having the whole shock gone through. With that, it will soften up the front quite a bit. They can also do rear shocks and have XC linkages that help out on ride quality tremendously.

the predator
05-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Colby over @ C&D Racing knows his stuff...send them to him he'll get them done for ya....and he's a site sponsor. and a racer himself. just my 2 cents

Under Wood
05-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks to you who have replied. I've been introduced to some new names I have not run across in the mags. Some are closer than I thought. Plus its saved me from spending some dough on products that I really don't need.

MossboysRacing
05-21-2009, 08:57 PM
colby and dusty are great people, raced with them a few times, their setup will get you riding very well.

snacob14
05-21-2009, 09:11 PM
i've got a fresh set of revalved resprung 06's that I"m selling. $300. setup for a 185-200 lb xc rider. Work was done by dirtworks. Their suspension guy is very good and has revalved tons of 450 shocks. you could sell yours and buy these...

johnsoninc86
05-22-2009, 06:41 AM
I would recommend against doing just the front or the rear at one time and not the other. When I first got into XC, I just did the front shocks, and it lowered the front of the quad considerably, but that in turn messed up the whole weight balance of the quad. It still wanted to two wheel in the corners, and it bucked really bad in the rough stuff. I also felt like I lost traction in the rear end with only the front being rebuilt. As soon as I got the back shock done to match the front, it was a whole different world. The shocks all worked together, and the back end could actually keep up with what the fronts were able to blast through. If it were me, and you can only do one set, I would do the rear shock with a link, and then save up and do the front when you get enough money, but ideally you want to do them all at the same time.

I personally run GT Thunder, and they do a great job on shocks. Turn around time is usually around 2 weeks depending on what time of the year it is.