PDA

View Full Version : outlaw 500

blackbart51
05-20-2009, 08:23 PM
is the cam timing marks,the same on the outlaw,as the predator? how bout the valve clearances?

Flynbryan19
05-21-2009, 06:53 AM
Should be the same. The motors are identical.

blackbart51
05-21-2009, 07:54 AM
when I line up the t mark,my int cam marks are advanced 2 teeth from where they should be according to adj procedure listed for predator.my ex cam marks are advanced 3 teeth from where they should be.unit still seems to run ok,however I was going to set valves,as they have never been done.anyone have any ideas?

blackbart51
06-12-2009, 01:21 PM
i found the problem,i talked to dealership,and they had no explanation,they said if cam timing is out,the unit wont run,i told them it still runs good but it ticks a little,sounds like valves are a bit out of ajustment,they laughed at me and asked if i had been drinking when i checked the alignment marks.i later talked with a fello who used to race these things and he said take the head off and look at the piston and valves,he said the ticking will be from the piston hitting the valves,due to faulty cam chain tensioner,at high rpm the chain will come loose and jump a couple teeth,and then the piston will start smacking the valves.he said it happened to him 3 times in one summer,he told me i will probably have bent valves along with damaged piston,he also warned me that the head bolt heads will probably strip when i try to loosen them as they are a real cheesy bolt head.i attempted to take it apart and everything he said was true including stripped bolt heads,1200 bucks later its running and for sale!!!!