PDA

View Full Version : effed my motor

tman12345
05-20-2009, 06:46 PM
so three bolts off of my clutch loosened there way out/ snapped and let the springs go all over my motor and cause all types of damage. Basically I need to replace a bunch of things (piston, crank, crank bearings, oil pump) but for the fella at the shop to do all the motor work will cost 2000 dollars :eek:. so i want to try to do it on my own cuz the bike running is barely worth that. I'm afraid to do it though because i've never taken a motor out before, the closest i've done is changing the oil pretty much. Are bike manuals what I really need to get. Do you think I will be able to do this by myself? i wanna ride again and would hate to see my bike go to waste

rob_990
05-20-2009, 07:02 PM
a clymers manual will definatley help but if i were you id try to get a friend/relative that knows what there doing and have them check on you to make sure your doing it right.
the top end is easy but im not sure about the bottom end.ill have mine apart in a week or so and ill let you know how it is.

some tips are take cardboard and put the screws for the side cases/vlave cover in order so u remember what bolt goes where and if you have a digital camera take a bunch of pics incase you forget how stuff goes.

Honda#4
05-20-2009, 07:32 PM
I had no previous experience with taking a motor apart and the clymer helped me out greatly, rob has good advice i'd go along with that. A torque wrench and a clutch holder tool are two good tools to have plus a press if you have it for pressing out the crank but other than that you will have hardly any problems following a clymer manual.

tman12345
05-20-2009, 07:38 PM
i gotta pick up a manual, hopefully i'll be ableto have a few of my more mechanically savy friends help me. the problem with the bolts and stuff though is that i already had it at the shop and its taken apart there, because i thought it was going to be a less complicated fix. but now that its gonna cost 2 grand for the rest i just want to pay him for what he has done and try it myself. so the bolts are just in bags now.

Snipe
05-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Just remember there is no (extras's)

No for real follow the manual and if ya get overwhelmed just stop and take a breather. If you get stressed things can go bad so just take it slow and you will be good.

tman12345
05-21-2009, 07:42 AM
yea this whole situtaion is real frustrating because i was ready for summer and to go riding alot and then this happened and i really need to save my money for college next year.

Snipe
05-21-2009, 09:41 AM
screw college, who needs a good paying job or a car lol. Ride your 400 from your parents house to mcdonalds (not making fun of ppl who work there just mcdonalds in general)

lol I totally understand when it rains it always seems to pour, I know it sucks but if money is tight just buy parts a piece at a time until you have what you need then start. Might ruine a summer of riding but at least it wouldnt cost all out the *** in one day.

tman12345
05-22-2009, 07:26 AM
yea i'm trying to look on the bright side.

DirtMonkey
05-22-2009, 09:26 AM
It gets easier as you go along because the same principles apply to most everything on the motor i.e. put it together opposite the way you took it off. Also post up questions as you go along, there are a lot of good, experienced people on here that dont mind helping. You can also take pictures before you take it apart and use them as your own reference and post them up also.

droppedmazda
05-22-2009, 01:02 PM
things would be alot easier if you bought a crank puller tool to pull the new crank through the left side main bearing. i made one when i did mine but it took forever to get it to work right.