PDA

View Full Version : New Bike Burning oil

07 400ex Honda
05-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Hey yall,

Well i hate it that my first post is a bad one but i am a bit disappointed in this 07 trx400ex. I just bought it yesterday and i got a hell of a deal on it, it was brand new it had just been on the showroom floor for a while. But after driving it 15 miles (how long the manual said to break it in) i decided to go through the gears, and after i let off the gas at high RPM's it shoots out a little ball of blue smoke. So i am going to take it back and get them to fix it, there is no reason for a brand new honda to be burning any oil.

this is my third honda ATV and my car is a 08 honda civic si and i have had no problems. I probably got a lemon.

powermadd400ex
05-20-2009, 03:37 PM
my 07was doing the same thing, its most likely the valve seals.

puTTs
05-20-2009, 03:40 PM
I'd give it a little more time. If it's still smoking after about 10 hours of ride time and a fresh oil change then I would think there's a problem.

billyboy93
05-20-2009, 03:41 PM
mine did that to....its the oil in the exhaust pipe and is on the sparkarester.

07 400ex Honda
05-20-2009, 03:48 PM
so just keep riding it and give it some more time? will it just burn the oil off the pipe after a while?

puTTs
05-20-2009, 03:55 PM
There's only 5 things that can make oil smoke. Oil already in the exhaust. Piston rings not sealing properly, usually not broke in yet or wore out/broke. Valve seals wore out or hardened leaking oil into the chamber. Blown head gasket. Or crank case breather blowing oil into intake tube, overfilling the oil can do this. I'd still give it more time, burning a little oil will not hurt anything. Keep riding and see if it gets better, or worse.

krt400ex
05-20-2009, 03:56 PM
its got a six month warranty on it. idk about brand new quads, but alot of pipe manufacturers coat the inside of their exhausts wit a little bit of light oil to keep them from rusting incase they are on the shelf for a while. i would suspect a similar thing wit OEM. so i would ride it a little longer and see if it burns out and stops.

07 400ex Honda
05-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Yeah, when i got a catback for my car it smoked a little but it was from the oil in the exhaust.

Well i took it back out and warmed it up and went up and down the street going between 4th and 5th and it has quit smoking. It was probably the oil in the exhaust or maybe because it was made 2 or 3 years ageo. But it seems to be working like a honda should now

Snipe
05-20-2009, 06:34 PM
Buying it brand new from the showroom no matter what year should have 1yr on it unless they cut the warranty to cut the cost.

Most likely its just the getting it warmed up my first ride out took it easy but later on after it got late my pipe was smoking it was burning all the oil off the pipe and in doing so the pipe was glowing red.

I would keep it going for the first ten hours and then take it to the honda dealer for the first tune up. The first tuneup is at your cost and that blows monkey balls as its $80 but they do a full service including adjusting the valves.

If your a mechanic screw the warranty and do it yourself what I did lol.

bigd's ex
05-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Snipe

If your a mechanic screw the warranty and do it yourself what I did lol. [/B]

X's A FREAKIN 1000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ae13291
05-20-2009, 08:15 PM
give it some time, the rings or valve seals or anything has not fully seat in yet, and if im not mistaken they use a additve in the oil to break it in. so keep riding it. also since the 400ex comes lean setting on the carb from factory i would bump it to a 150 main and a 40 pilot right away

Snipe
05-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by bigd's ex
X's A FREAKIN 1000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What? lol

bigd's ex
05-20-2009, 08:46 PM
What? lol

HA, HA , I meant I agree with you 1000 X's about screwing the warrant & working on it yourself. Usually have a hard time getting them to honor it anyways without them trying to charge you for something.

krt400ex
05-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Buying it brand new from the showroom no matter what year should have 1yr on it unless they cut the warranty to cut the cost.

Most likely its just the getting it warmed up my first ride out took it easy but later on after it got late my pipe was smoking it was burning all the oil off the pipe and in doing so the pipe was glowing red.

I would keep it going for the first ten hours and then take it to the honda dealer for the first tune up. The first tuneup is at your cost and that blows monkey balls as its $80 but they do a full service including adjusting the valves.

If your a mechanic screw the warranty and do it yourself what I did lol.

the two i bought brand new from the dealers only had six month warranties on them :confused: :confused:

bigredisb
05-21-2009, 09:29 AM
There was a change towards the end of 07 into early 08 that upped the warranty to 1 year. My 07 was 6 months and I called honda and in 5 minutes I had a year. Not that I would ever take it in but its nice to have for nothing. My 08 was 1 year from day one.

Snipe
05-21-2009, 09:39 AM
My 08 was a one year extended warranty was $700 I never even took my quad in for the first oil change. I did it in my front yard cost me like $10 for the oil and filter from Oriely, there warranty is a joke. I know someone with a 450R bought it brand new the motor blew up after no mods took it to them wouldnt warranty costing around $1200 out of pocket.