PDA

View Full Version : Another Win For The Outlaw IRS

Outlaw212
05-20-2009, 01:31 PM
I raced a 6 hour race here in Georgia last weekend and won the ironman class on my 2008 Outlaw IRS!! The track was very muddy with some tight sections and some aggressive MX. The IRS preformed very well and I was able to make 11 laps on the 9 mile course. The winning pro team had three riders and made 14 laps. The only problem I had was overheating in the tight sections. I'm working on that.

Anyway, I just wanted to brag for a bit because that was my first endurance race and I can't wait for the next one! I hope I will be able to walk by then...

somewon
05-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Good story! are you going to try the heartland challenge in Iowa this summer?

SSJEFF
05-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Get rid of the Thermostat and put some furnace/humidifier filter material in front of the radiator. I just picked up a sheet of the material at Meijer for 4.99. I have had no issue since running this.

You will want to remove the radiator and wash all the debree out of the fins or you will have issues with overheating. You cannot get all the stuff out with it in the quad because you cannot hit the fins straight on with a power washer.

Good job!! I know it feels great.

montycarlo
05-21-2009, 06:17 AM
congrats on the win, that's a sweet one!

Outlaw212
05-21-2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I credit part of my win to advise and suggestions that I receive on this forum. The community here helps make us all better riders and the Outlaw more successful.

Thanks for everything!!

montycarlo
05-22-2009, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by SSJEFF
Get rid of the Thermostat and put some furnace/humidifier filter material in front of the radiator. I just picked up a sheet of the material at Meijer for 4.99. I have had no issue since running this.

regarding the furnace filter material.... do you put it right up against the radiator or space it back? I assume you also do some taping out front when you're planning on mud?

Regarding the thermostat.... do you put some restrictor in place to slow coolant through the radiator and allow heat to dissipate or run 'er wide open.

I have already blocked the down-hose from the radiator upper inlet hose.

hondariderdylan
05-22-2009, 06:38 AM
where was the race at?
what series?

im racing in sorcs this fall

TYLER329
05-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Congrats on the win! I will finally have my first race of the season in the Iowa ATV Harescramble Series this weekend and just hope to make it the whole two hours. I have won a couple times in the C class but this A class is a whole nother story. My best finish is an 8th so anything better than that would be great.

SSJEFF
06-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by montycarlo
regarding the furnace filter material.... do you put it right up against the radiator or space it back? I assume you also do some taping out front when you're planning on mud?

Regarding the thermostat.... do you put some restrictor in place to slow coolant through the radiator and allow heat to dissipate or run 'er wide open.

I have already blocked the down-hose from the radiator upper inlet hose.

I run the filter in front of the radiator guard. I zip tie it on top two corners and leave it hanging. I blocks the grit from getting lodged into the radiator. I never tape the front as it has never done anything for me.

I run the radiator wide open and it never gets above 191 or has not yet by my trailtech vapor. I run at 13-13.5 A/F also.

powertechn2
06-10-2009, 11:12 PM
is everyone running standard 50/50 mix antifreeze, or water wetter or equivalent?

i have a 461 ex that i can run for hours in the tight trails, and i dont overheat, or meltdown or burndown, so im curious, cause the overheat issue is odd to me with a liquid cooled, unless rad became blocked or something.

also a note, i have had issues with pulling the stat out from too much flow as some0ne else had mentioned above, basically, the coolant just flows, but flows too fast to really cool anything and let any heat dissipate. (sp, i dunno...) so im just curious.

Power

SSJEFF
06-11-2009, 12:46 PM
comparing an air cooled 461ex with no monitoring system to a 510 water cooled monitored motor. How do you know you have not gotten your hot?

The flow is not the issue. I imagine most people who run muddy xc races with water cooled have gotten them hot and did not know it. The grit in the mud plugs the radiator.