PDA

View Full Version : No smoking sign is on

01-03-2003, 02:13 PM
How many of you gave up smoking as a new year resolution???

I did and I'm gettin ready to jump outa my works 2nd floor window..see ya from the hospital..:eek:

JUSTINcredible
01-03-2003, 02:15 PM
That wasnt my resolution cuz i dont smoke, but good luck quiting

Pappy
01-03-2003, 02:18 PM
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! i salute anyone that can kick that nasty habit:macho

anyone seen my smokes:blah

seriously.....dont go back...72 hours from now you will be feelin fine;)

Ryan
01-03-2003, 02:19 PM
Its better that you do quit now. Its getting so strict soon you won't be able to smoke period :eek: and 5 bucks a pack is expensive. Can't smoke in bars, public places ect. I think they are just trying to make it plain illegal.

Slick
01-03-2003, 02:20 PM
I quit finally hehe, good luck to you man!

01-03-2003, 02:23 PM
How long u been smoking? If it's been like 5 or 10 years can you imagine how much money you could have saved or had? You prolly could of bought a new 4 wheeler:eek: . LOL, glad to ehar people are stopping my parents are still at it:grr

MSL
01-03-2003, 02:24 PM
I am on the early retirement plan I smoke.

good luck quitting i hope to soon

kc 300EX
01-03-2003, 02:25 PM
I dont think theres any reason it should be legal, if you smoke youre killing yourself and youre killing anyone around you

The only reason it is still legal is because of all the damn money you poor addicted saps give tabacco companys, and all the money the government gets by taxing it, its pretty sad....

I dont want to sound like a jerk, I know I dont understand what its like to be addicted, and maybe you dont care if its killing you, But I sure care when its killing me at the same time

01-03-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by kc 300EX

I dont want to sound like a jerk, I know I dont understand what its like to be addicted, and maybe you dont care if its killing you, But I sure care when its killing me at the same time

Your makin out like a bandit dude..we buy the cig's,,you get all the second hand smoke for free..so don't complain...:huh

I've smoked for like 10 years I guess or something,,way too long..and for those of you that never smoked. Go 5 hours without blinkin your eyes..that's what it's like to not smoke..

Str8Wicked
01-03-2003, 02:53 PM
Your makin out like a bandit dude..we buy the cig's,,you get all the second hand smoke for free..so don't complain...

lol.. I've been smoking for 13 years and promised myself to quit by the end of this year... It's hard, last year I tried three times without luck except that I have cut down considerably.

I always laughed when they say second hand smoke is worse.. I tell them than have your own, you'll live longer....

Chef
01-03-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Rico
and for those of you that never smoked. Go 5 hours without blinkin your eyes..that's what it's like to not smoke..

AAAAHHHHH! Its been 20 minutes, can I quit?:confused:

kc 300EX
01-03-2003, 02:58 PM
if not blinking for 5 hours would add YEARS onto my life Id use duct tape to hold them open and Id buy 50 bottles of Clear Eyes to clean my own eyes by hand............ It all depends how important it is to you, yeah, itd be easier to blink Im sure, and its easier to smoke than to not........if you can quit, good for you, its hard, not impossible

01-03-2003, 03:05 PM
well adding years onto my life is great,,but quitin won't necessarily work either...who's ta say I quit for a week and some jackleg 16 year old kid with a fresh license won't T-bone my arse and send me to the morgue????:eek:

The only reason i've ever smoked is because it makes me look so cool..:huh

flyin#5
01-03-2003, 03:08 PM
great way to put it KC.

my mom smokes and she has been for a while. i hate it and would never touch a cigarette in my life. i can smell it on her breath and when she dumps her buts into the garbage it smells so nasty. another wierd thing is that my dad cant get addicted to them. he will almost never smoke but he has and never got addicted. smoking makes no sense if you want to kill youself just do it quickly and dont cause others to suffer of your nasty habits. JMO. and i dont hate smokers and i know alot of ppl who do it and dont say anything cuz its there choice.

toby400ex
01-03-2003, 03:13 PM
but just think of all the extra money you will have to spend on your quad, take up drinkin water, no i didnt say beer, I said water:blah

Blysster
01-03-2003, 03:14 PM
that would be just like trying to give up beer :eek:

02 Red Rider
01-03-2003, 03:17 PM
Smoked 13 years and had clean lungs for 3 days now. Just hold on Rico I hear the 1st week is the worst of it.

For the those of you with the comments and lectures: I am not going to get into a big pissing match about smoking or not smoking, but I don't think anyone needs to be lectured on the dangers of smoking. It's annoying to listen to. I am sure if I knew any of you better I could sit and lecture you about something that you do that you shouldn't do or that affect other people. Let's just be supportive of those people that are working on quitting and leave it at that.

Sorry,
Jason

Str8Wicked
01-03-2003, 03:18 PM
DID i HEAR beer

Knight440
01-03-2003, 03:26 PM
Rico grab a pack of that gum for quitting I have had two friends quit using that it will help you allot in the early stages of quitting

And all the power to ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IT CAN BE DONE!

and someday ill try:rolleyes: soon too i am going broke:mad:

Pappy
01-03-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Knight400EX
Rico grab a pack of that gum for quitting

he tried that .....he said it wouldnt stay lit:devil

he will succeed.....he has a reason and the will power!!!

Fender Bender
01-03-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Lathers
my parents are still at it:grr

Yep, mine are too, i cant imagine what it would be like if my dad got a disease and died.

Ride400
01-03-2003, 03:33 PM
put down the butts and pick up a blunt, cigs kill.

Str8Wicked
01-03-2003, 03:34 PM
I'll be right back.. gonna go on my cig break.... woops... I mean 10 min. break....

lol

250exen
01-03-2003, 03:36 PM
when my dad was trying to quit, he would always eat sunflower seeds. it was something to chew on in the car and kept him from smoking. just chew a lot of gum and sunflower seeds...

Chef
01-03-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by kc 300EX
if not blinking for 5 hours would add YEARS onto my life Id use duct tape to hold them open and Id buy 50 bottles of Clear Eyes to clean my own eyes by hand............ It all depends how important it is to you, yeah, itd be easier to blink Im sure, and its easier to smoke than to not........if you can quit, good for you, its hard, not impossible

Ok, its been an hour now....can I borrow that clear eyes?

MxStar826
01-03-2003, 03:44 PM
I tried to quit smoking Rico. I already gave in and had one. I'm down to about 3 a day during the week and about a pack a day on the weekends when I'm drinking. :D

Str8Wicked
01-03-2003, 03:52 PM
Good luck on the reals thou cause it's a fother mukker trying to quit...

SGA
01-03-2003, 03:53 PM
Good for you Rico:)

killed300ex
01-03-2003, 03:56 PM
rico how much were u smoking a pack a day? Just take thet money and put it aside inot a bank acount then after like two years go out and buy a cdale. Or just send the whole quad to pappy to make it bling lol good luck man i know you can do it my grandfather did it like 2 years ago and he had been smoking for all his life he was like 70 years old when he stoped i gave him alot of credit for stoping
killed

Pappy
01-03-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by killed300ex
Or just send the whole quad to pappy to make it bling
killed

i have 3/4 of it here now:eek: :p

z400rider23
01-03-2003, 04:00 PM
Addiction is weakness......don't let it kick your ***.

Ryan
01-03-2003, 04:05 PM
Im 14 and been smoking for 3 years. Havn't been on the right road but I just wanted to stop a few months ago. Makes my heart race, makes me cough, and gets me tired. Now the only smoke I inhail is my exuast fumes :D

Glamis400ex
01-03-2003, 04:37 PM
Rico,

Buddy, stay strong. I smoked 1 pack a day for 17 years, I'm 32. I quit 6 months ago, this was my 5th time trying to quit. I think I got it this time. The 1st 2 weeks I was climbing the walls, thought I would lose my mind.

My father in law had a massive heart attack a year ago, and almost died. He's 57 and was a 2 1/2 pack a day smoker for 40 years, and he quit. The least I could do is try to quit, if not for MY sake, but my wife's sake. I don't want her to lose her father and husband from lung cancer.

It's going to be tough, I'm in the same boat you are. I could fire one up right now, but I won't, I've come to far to go back. But, I will say, I do feel better, I don't cough nearly as much, I don't stink like an ashtray, and for the 1st time in a long time I am able to kiss my wife the way I used to.....that's a reason worth quitting by itself.

The down side is I've gained almost 25 pounds. :( But, my wife says she would rather have me a little chubby than still smoking...If you do gain a few, people automatically dissmiss it since you quit smoking, which is way worse.

It will get better, trust me. It's better in the long run, you're about my age and have so much still to do in life than die from cancer at 45 years old.

If you need any words of encouragement along the way, please feel free to AIM me or e-mail me. I'll help you anyway I can.

Glamis
AIM: alinerica123

DEAL
01-03-2003, 04:48 PM
ahh man that must be hard rico, No smokes and no quad to ride and no hair to pull out....
Good luck man.
Get some gum and beer.

tants
01-03-2003, 04:51 PM
rico you can do it!

Fred55
01-03-2003, 04:54 PM
Good luck Rico!

GoLikeHell
01-03-2003, 05:06 PM
Keep up the good work!! i quit smoking 15 months ago after smoking for 20 years ( 2 packs a day), and I now use the money to pay for my quad :-) !

Try a patch, they really do work!

Good luck! its a long 30 days

Mark

mopar 400
01-03-2003, 05:49 PM
The worst is in the morning driving to work with that cup of coffee an after work having 3 or 4 cold ones. I tried a two times only lasted for 4 days. but with the he11 I could go tommrow walking across the the street.

Woodsrider
01-03-2003, 06:15 PM
One word of advice Rico, ZYBAN. If your med insurance will cover it try it. I smoked 1 to 1 and a half packs a day and have been smoke free for a year on the 18th of this month:D Down side is you can't get tanked while your on it. But that keeps you out of the pubs while your tryin to quit too.

Best of luck to ya Rico!

exriderdude
01-03-2003, 06:32 PM
if i dont know you, and i see you smoking, i have no respect for you. it shows you are weak.

you dont need no freakin patch or gum or crap, if you cant quit "cold turkey" or a freakin wuss. why smoke, its useless, what do you get out of it? if you are going to let this get the best of you than you are just weak.

i dont think you can do it rico, cuz your a pansy, you cant take it you little wuss. you wont last a week:grr

just a little tuff luv for ya, and you better prove me wrong:macho

bakerboyz
01-03-2003, 06:45 PM
The patch worked for me and the wife. It costs less than the smokes do.

Good luck

bansheeguy77
01-03-2003, 06:46 PM
yes pappy ive seen you smoke and you seriously needa quit...lol you must go through 2 packs a day

beerock
01-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Ok this is somethin I definately have experience with.

I tried quitting a million times..

I Dont want to get rico down but, the new years resolution thing is a joke.I tried that for about 5 years.
I also think the patch and the gum is a joke too.(I think pycologically the patch and gum help you quit by psyching you out more then anything) they still give you nicotine so your really not quitting, it just gives you nicotene wihtout the oral fixation.

I know for you it isnt that much of a joke since you felt like sharing your resolution with all the exriders.Now you have somethin serious on your hands. Dont let the pressure get to you. ITS ALL IN THE MIND

I smoked since I was 16(im 27 now)

I quit 2 1/2 years ago out of the blue I just said THATS IT im done COLD TURKEY.

I did how ever take a puff off my bowl everytime I wanted a cig.MAN first two weeks I was wailed outta my mind but it helped.

by the way I was the head sound engineer at a club/rest during my quitting.
everyone smoked in there which made it 4 times harder to quit.It made my victory that much more appreciated.

What did i get out of it?

I bought my R and bought lots of mods for it. I bought all the parts to build a new boat motor 351w for my donzi.(which by the way was sitting on blocks since 1990 cuz i never had any money to put a new motor in it)

Payed off alot of bills....

If you dont quit for health reasons.

QUIT FOR THE FINANCIAL REASONS.

after two weeks youll start to notice the nasty smoke smell, when you do notice it you must HATE IT! if you dont youll end up wanting one. psych yourself out if ya have to!

Don't smoke a cig cuz ya had a beer either..:grr

Just think "MO MONEY";)

I really quit because of that not because of my health.

Heck it worked and the health was a plus.:D

Good luck rico!

Pappy
01-03-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
yes pappy ive seen you smoke and you seriously needa quit...lol you must go through 2 packs a day

yeah im afraid its easier said then done.....but i will try to get the doc to get me something.....id rather go out a different way then coughin myself .

roostin_dale
01-03-2003, 08:01 PM
I encourage all of you that smoke...TO QUIT!!! Recently my dad had to have a $40,000 surgery because 2 arteries were cloged(sp) in his heart!

roostin_dale
01-03-2003, 08:02 PM
btw..he is down to about a pack a month..so is my mom;)

Nausty
01-04-2003, 12:00 PM
my dad hasn't smoked for a couple weeks and he keeps trying to get my mom to quit but I know she won't and she pry smokes a pack a day and it makes me sick.

-=Skot=-
01-04-2003, 01:14 PM
i haven't had a puff since dec.29 and i'm not gonna, i know it's only been a few days but i'm going crazy and don't know what to do. good luck rico and don't give in. they really are gross.;)

KrazyKid300ex
01-04-2003, 02:26 PM
my grandfather. wait greatgrandfather has been smoking for 60 years. ever since he was 14. now he has been in the hospital and toes got cut off on one foot and he is still doing it! hes not going to learn. he going out his way

Rip_Tear
01-04-2003, 02:34 PM
Good luck to anyone trying to quit smoking!:D I dont see why anyone would want to start...

Ryan
01-04-2003, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by exriderdude
[B]if i dont know you, and i see you smoking, i have no respect for you. it shows you are weak.

you dont need no freakin patch or gum or crap, if you cant quit "cold turkey" or a freakin wuss. why smoke, its useless, what do you get out of it? if you are going to let this get the best of you than you are just weak.

i dont think you can do it rico, cuz your a pansy, you cant take it you little wuss. you wont last a week:grr

If it was that easy everyone would probably quit. Go smoke for about 10 years, pack a day and you tell me how easy it is. I've seen my parents go nuts trying to quit smoking.

So Rico, Is it getting any easier

:blah

Rob440EX
01-04-2003, 03:25 PM
My wife and I smoked about a pack a day....I smoked for about 10 years and we both quit on JULY 2 2002 togeter.....with zyban but together. I feel much better and I don't smell like a walking turd any more...GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE THAT IS TRYING...U have to be strong

roostin_dale
01-04-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
my dad hasn't smoked for a couple weeks and he keeps trying to get my mom to quit but I know she won't and she pry smokes a pack a day and it makes me sick.

yea i hate the smell....my parent still smoke a little(as i said)
And i make them go in the garage cuz i cant stand it.

Glamis400ex
01-04-2003, 04:33 PM
It's as hard to quit as Heroin.....thats what the experts say. It's very tough, but I did it. So can you.

Glamis

ThorChick
01-05-2003, 02:24 AM
My boyfriend quit smoking 3 years ago. We didn't know each other when he quit, but I know it had to of been hard on him. Sometimes when we're around other people that smoke I can see this look in his eye that almost seems as if he wants to light one up to. But then you can see him take a second thought and the first look disappears, then all you see is a confidence and pride in the fact he beat the addiction once again.
My grandfather died when I was 11 years old from emphyzema. He smoked a pack a day for some 40 odd years, and the last 10 years of his life he was on an oxygen machine cause his lungs weren't functional. One of my few memories of him is when we visited my grandparents in Florida and he had the tubes from the oxugen machine all over their house. I was 6 and he told me if I stepped on a tube it would kill him because he wouldn't have any air. That is what has kept me from becoming a smoker. I don't want my grandchildren to have nightmares like I did about killing grandma cause they stepped on her oxygen tube.

GOOD LUCK RICO!!!

Ben
01-05-2003, 04:44 AM
You can do it Rico! :blah