PDA

View Full Version : riding through water?

drew3623
05-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Does anyone know how deep of water a 400 can go thru? I do not have a k&n air filter or anything like that. Stock filter. After market exhaust.

I have some buddies that go thru alot of water and mud and Im afraid that Im gonna tear my quad up.

scuzz
05-19-2009, 12:26 PM
With mine I always made sure I "water wheelied" through the deep stuff and stopped when it got about where the tank and the seat meet since that's where the stock snorkel intake is.

If it got any deeper I always shut it down.

I never drowned mine as a result.

BEAVER.989
05-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Yeah, keep the snorkel above water and you should be good to go.

Snipe
05-19-2009, 03:22 PM
But also dont the 400ex have a drain hole in the bottom of the airbox? so wouldnt it just run in there as well?

I always just keep mine under the exhaust tip if its under that im good.

81-Honda-04
05-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Yeah im with Snipe. below the exhaust tip and you should be good....

400exridin121
05-20-2009, 08:59 AM
when i had an airbox id ride through anything.
nothing bad ever came from it

by the way, if the snorkel comes near the gas tank does that mean if the airfilters under water its still fine? i have a uni with no airbox.

kilgoja
05-20-2009, 11:00 AM
are you kidding?...lol....don't get your air filter in the water!..keep the snorkel above water too

400exridin121
05-20-2009, 11:13 AM
ha. the way they side under the exhaust would mean that the filter and all were under.

but im getting an airbox so its not gonna matter. just checking

puTTs
05-20-2009, 12:16 PM
As long as you have the stock filter, airbox and snorkel setup you have nothing to worry about. The stock filter even submerged in water will only get a water vaper sucked through it, assuming it's oiled properly. When riding through deep water keep your weight on the very rear of the bike to keep the front floating. I've sunk my stock bike a few times where the airbox filled completely with water and the bike stalled. Once we drug it out I pulled the qork on the bottem of the airbox, drained the water, with the air filter being soaked in water it took about 30-45 seconds of cranking the engine over to get her to fire. Then it'll run kinda crappy for 10 minutes or so untill all the water is pulled out of the filter. Then your good to try it again. :)

The key is to keep the snorkel up, and a properly oiled stock filter. The deepest water I went through was up to my elbows, I'm 6'1". 1st try the front dropped when I hit the water and I went over the handle bars. 2nd and 3rd I drowned it out. But on the forth try I made it. 3rd gear wide open on a wheelie was the charm. :D

drew3623
05-20-2009, 08:26 PM
what doi you do if you do put it under? Someone told me to take the airbox lid off to see if there is water in it. If there is, youre supposed to pull the drain plug under the airbox and let it drain. Then take the spark plug out and turn it over to get the water out of there. Is this correct? anything else?

ae13291
05-20-2009, 08:29 PM
^^^ yea thats correct, so u dont hydro lock the motor. i never really went that deep in water, but i have gone like a few inches in mud and that was awesome and dirty

Snipe
05-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Mud is always fun I love playing in the mud patch after a snow it gets thick its just one spot in the field and it turns into like 3 or 4 inches of thick clay like mud. We all go out and do donuts and play who can cover the other with the mud roost lol.

ae13291
05-20-2009, 08:45 PM
i miss the mud. i cant wait for the rain to come. i miss taking out the pressure washer to wash my quad lol

smokindw
05-20-2009, 09:03 PM
what do u do if u dont have a snorkel anymore?? I have a UM alumni air box n i had 2 do away with the snorkel, am i still fine to ride in the creeks??

puTTs
05-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by smokindw
what do u do if u dont have a snorkel anymore?? I have a UM alumni air box n i had 2 do away with the snorkel, am i still fine to ride in the creeks??

Keep the water away from where ever your airbox pulls air from.

Snipe
05-21-2009, 09:47 AM
^^^what they said. Basicaly were ever your motor is pulling air from is were water can get in.