PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Question ON/RES/PRIM???

joetracc
05-19-2009, 10:45 AM
I was out and about the other day with my LTZ when I noticed it started to sputter then die as if I was out of gas. I checked the tank, lots of gas so I checked the fuel switch. I noticed there are 3 options. ON/RES/PRIM. I didn't notice an OFF. I switched it over to PRIM and the quad ran with out any problems. I pulled the fuel hose out and noticed no gas flowing on the ON position. Gas did flow in the RES and PRIM position. Is there a clog? What position should I be using? What does PRIM stand for? Primary?

THX

Joe

ADTR14
05-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Leave it on the "ON" position. It has some sort of auto shut off which is why there is no "off" position. "Res" = reserve and for the "Prim" position I have only used it to help start the quad after I have cleaned the carb or rebuilt the motor. To my understanding it just gets fuel to the carb to help when starting.

airmobile101
05-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Its a vaccum carb, so thats why there is no fuel coming out when its in the "on" position with the bike not running.

POLKY
05-19-2009, 01:33 PM
WHAT HAPPENS IF IT DON'T RUN ON THE "ON" POSITION? ONLY ON THE PRIM.

ifixtheyride
05-19-2009, 02:05 PM
If it doesn't run in the on position you have blockage somewhere and reserve is what it says its the bottom of the tank just enough to get you back to where you can fill it and operates same as on just a different pick up. You may have to drain the tank and remove the petcock and inside the tank where the gas pick ups are you will find screens on reserve and on line you would be amazed at the crap that will get in the tank

joetracc
05-19-2009, 03:20 PM
So the blockage is in the tank not the carb?

dw0095
05-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Could be your gas cap...I had similar problems so I took apart the carb and cleaned out the pilot jet real good and I also noticed some rust on the underside of my gas cap.

replaced that while I was at it. not sure what fixed it but it runs great now. Perhaps the cap is messing with the vaccuum?

try it on the on position without the cap on.

Just an idea.

joetracc
05-19-2009, 08:07 PM
What would make the gas cab faulty?

dw0095
05-20-2009, 06:40 AM
The cap has a one way valve that lets air into the tank to relieve any vaccum pressure. Not sure if it will help but it is a cheap way to maybe solve your problem

I got mine on Ebay for $10 new.

twincat800
05-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Ive been running myn on prim, thinking that the on position wouldnt give me the gas i want, was that bad?

ifixtheyride
05-22-2009, 09:46 AM
As long as it was running ok no problem the float in the carb still regulates the amount of fuel and shutoff I have an FCR carb and have to run in prime poaition.

GOOSEZ450
05-22-2009, 08:13 PM
I had the same issue. Mine wound up being the cap not breathing. See if it will run w/ the gas cap off. If it does then then its ur cap not breathing

joetracc
06-01-2009, 10:40 AM
So I tried the gas cap thing. Put the tank in the ON position and ran the bike with the gas cap off. It still was not feeding the carb with gas. I put the cap back on and tried opening it as the quad was starting to die. This did not work.

I took out the petcock to clean it. There wasn't much dirt so I blew it out real good and replaced. Still have me the same issues. Will not run in the ON. Will run fine in the PRIM!? Any other suggestions?

GOOSEZ450
06-01-2009, 02:39 PM
leave it on prime and run that sum*****

joetracc
06-01-2009, 03:37 PM
So its ok on PRIM? But why is the ON not working?

POLKY
06-01-2009, 04:19 PM
I FOUND OUT THAT MINE WAS THE VACCUM HOSE CAME UNHOOKED. RUNS GREAT NOW

joetracc
06-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Checked, not a vac hose... I'm stumped??? Anyone?

ifixtheyride
06-11-2009, 05:33 AM
Look if it works in reserve and prime then there has to be blockage in the on position. The carb knows no difference between the reserve and on position it only picks the gas from a different position in the tank. You took the petcock out and checked the screens for dirt so the petcock itself has to be blocked get a new one or soak it good while its in the on position if you could ultrasonic it that would help there has to be blockage! The carb wants fuel and from the petcock and tank it gets it.

joetracc
06-11-2009, 06:02 PM
I took the petcock out that first time and blew compressed air through it. I didn't notice a blockage? I will try again.

THX