PDA

View Full Version : Lt80 Bogs

bportzel
05-18-2009, 11:52 PM
I recently purchased a used 2003 LT80 for my son. Initially the quad would only run with the choke on. I cleaned/replaced the air filter with a Uni filter. It appeared that it had never been cleaned before. This helped but not much. I rebuilt the Carb and added a Boyesen 2 stage reed kit from Midwest mini. This comes with a different Main jet that I installed. The exhaust also would fill with gas when the quad sat so I replaced the Petcock with bolt on kit that I believe is from a Banshee. It includes a rubber block off for the unused line in the carb. I added an FMF Fatty pipe with the Turbine Core spark arrestor. I removed the oil system and blocked off the pump again with a kit from Midwest Mini. The problem is that the quad bogs terribly off the bottom end. It eventually gets going but it requires that you rev the throttle constantly. However if you pull the choke it will rev nicely at the bottom end. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

LT80
05-19-2009, 07:23 AM
What jet size are you using now?
Did you remove both jets and clean them and the carb well? Did you blow out all the lil holes/passages?
Put the stock pipe back on till we figure this out.
It'd be nice to know the compression.

bportzel
05-19-2009, 07:33 AM
I'm not sure what the jet size is, i'll find out today as well as the compression. I cleaned the carb, blew out all the lil holes and they all were clear. I don't have the stock pipe any longer it's on a friends quad in another state.

thx

etondaddy
05-19-2009, 11:48 AM
I have a new take off stock pipe....but i'm in Pittsburgh may be a bit much for shipping to try. Take the carb back off and boil it....... yes boil it.........

Mike Kozura

bportzel
05-19-2009, 07:30 PM
OK so I did a compression check it is about 125 warm. The main jet that was supplied with the reeds is a 90. I am boiling the carb now. Again it will run with the choke off as long as you keep it revved up. It will not start without the choke on even when its cold. I also sprayed carb cleaner first then WD40 around the intake and could hear no change that would suggest a leak. thx for the help guys...

bportzel
05-19-2009, 09:29 PM
OK, boiled the carb, put the stock main jet back in. It runs much better. I took off the turbine core spark arrestor and it ran ALOT better. I guess as I've read here the FMF pipe is not the greatest especially if you must run a sparky. Were going to the dunes (Yuma) this weekend so I should be able to run it both ways, with and without the sparky. Thanks so much for the help. I'll look for the clutch mods when we get back....

etondaddy
05-20-2009, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by bportzel
OK, boiled the carb, put the stock main jet back in. It runs much better. I took off the turbine core spark arrestor and it ran ALOT better. I guess as I've read here the FMF pipe is not the greatest especially if you must run a sparky. Were going to the dunes (Yuma) this weekend so I should be able to run it both ways, with and without the sparky. Thanks so much for the help. I'll look for the clutch mods when we get back....
When your ready for the clutch mods I have pics..........;) cool deal. You have to start doing one thing at a time so you know what really fixed it...........:huh but as long as it fixed your good and the kids happy.

Mike Kozura

LT80
05-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Dam FMF crappy....LMAO :D :D

Look for one of my motors..You'll know it..it'll be at the top of the hill..:D :devil:

bportzel
05-26-2009, 10:58 PM
At the dunes it was about 100 degrees. We ran the FMF pipe with out the sparky the whole time. The bike ran better, but was a little hard to start until we figured out a pattern. We always had to choke it to start, even when hot, then feather in the throttle when it starts to grab, next shut the choke off. It also would lose power about 100yards or so up a slight dune. I replaced the stock main jet with the smaller 90 that came with the reed kit, this helped a little. The bottom end is still bad. My son weighs about 70 lbs and it will not spin the tires (stock) in the sand off a dead start. I weigh about 205 and have to do a flintstone to get it going. Once moving it seems ok then the power drops off. It feels like the break is on if you nail the throttle from a dead start. A guy at the dunes said it needed a clutch kit? ANy ideas would be great?
On another note the petcock kit from Midwest mini worked flawlessly. What do you guys think about the Trinity Pipe?

LT80
05-27-2009, 06:22 AM
The Trinity pipe is what I recommend. Altho, it's not the answer to the making of a dune machine.
FYI: I just built a motor for a guy that's running the FMF. I need to return his call. I'll let you know how the FMF runs for him.
As far as clutch, yes some simple stuff will help.
ie: cut the rear clutch shoes down to 180 grams, shave the head .030, and remove 2 rollers.
That'll make it come out of the hole better.
"Usually" any time a pipe is added, some roller weight adjustment is ness.
There is deff a issue with your machine with the way it runs.

etondaddy
05-27-2009, 07:32 AM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/Kyles_80009.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/Kyles_80008.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/Kyles_80007.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/100_1078.jpg

bportzel
05-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Lt80
OK i'll wait to hear on the pipe. What head are you talking about shaving, the cylinder head? What do you charge to build this motor. What is involved?
Etondaddy what are you demonstrating in the 2nd picture? Do i remove that part(looks like a spacer of some kind.

thx
Guys

etondaddy
05-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Oil injection drive piece off the crank. Take .030 off the cylinder head.

Mike Kozura

bportzel
05-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Thx, I'll remove that then I need to find a machine shop that'll mill the head. Do u use the same plug? What kind of grease do u use on the clutch? I have read some posts here and am a little confused. Do I remove 4 rollers total 2 front & 2 rear?

etondaddy
05-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by bportzel
Thx, I'll remove that then I need to find a machine shop that'll mill the head. Do u use the same plug? What kind of grease do u use on the clutch? I have read some posts here and am a little confused. Do I remove 4 rollers total 2 front & 2 rear?
Remove the drive then mix your gas.

Make sure they mill it and not belt sand it.

Same plug.

Ask lt80 about the grease.

Two from the front , there's no rollors in the rear.

Mike Kozura

LT80
05-28-2009, 07:54 AM
I use a dab of high temp grease on each roller. It's to hold the roller in place during installation.

ltrnutz43
06-08-2009, 07:31 PM
what ratio do you mix your gas at once remove the oil injetion?

LT80
06-09-2009, 07:20 AM
32:1 with a good synthetic. :)

etondaddy
06-09-2009, 07:56 AM
We ever get caught up I'd like to send the motor to Jack and get it done up right........

Mike Kozura

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qvRIEaYrG5c&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qvRIEaYrG5c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ltrnutz43
06-14-2009, 07:40 AM
thanks for the help guys, just got done putting it back together, I did the rollers and shoes mod, it went good and I had very little trouble wit it thanks to the info and pics provided, only thing that hung me up was how much I had to drill off the shoes, just didnt figure on how much it would take to get 30 grams off of them. Other than that all was good and I appriciate the advice