PDA

View Full Version : broken exhaust stud

Honda4life05
05-18-2009, 09:02 PM
while removing my header one of the studs broke. and the other came all the way out with the nut still attached, but didn't break. my question is, how hard will it be to remove the broken one? its still sticking out about a half in. an can i pick these up at a harware store or do i HAVE to go to honda? thanx

JohnT_98300EX
05-19-2009, 04:50 AM
get the stud from Honda would be my route.
Get a can of "Freeze Off" or maybe an aerosol can of computer "dust off"
Heat the snot out of the stud with a propane torch and then spray it with the freeze off. It will work best if you can put more heat to the head and then cool the stud. Of course both are going to heat up.Heating and cooling it a time or 2 should get it to loosen up for you.
Turn it out with vise grips after it is loosened.

PA250x
05-19-2009, 04:51 AM
Spray some penetrating fluid on the stud and let sit for a couple hours or over night. Heat up the head around the stud and grab it with some vice grips. Try to spin it out like that. If that doesnt work, put a nut on the stud, tack weld the nut to the stud, and try to spin it out that way. Just toss it out and get new ones when you get it out. Good Luck!!

Honda4life05
05-19-2009, 02:04 PM
alright thanks guys. im sure ill be able to get it out. do i really need the stock studs from honda though?