PDA

View Full Version : best race quad?

woodsracer144
05-18-2009, 08:35 PM
hey guys, and gals...

what do you think is the best race quad? i dont want people that have been on a 2004 honda 450r since 04 to just say oh the trx450r all the way... i would like replys from people that know things about the quad they are running and how well it works. and some of the problems you have

i've been thinkin about have in a race quad...
the possable quads i would run are
the kfx450
yfz
and ltr..
and the old 250r

as of right now im running a full race 250r... just thinking of all the things i can do...

also... in the 450 pro class...
with the quads that have EFI could you take the wireing from the kxf dirt bike and put a carb on it again? ifneed be could you use the stator and all that from the bike and make the quad have a carb...
or would that break the rules?

have there been any recalls on any of the new quads...

any thing that is known to break or fail on these quads...

thanks

trailrider894
05-18-2009, 08:52 PM
no KFX450!!!! have a buddy who has one and hates it!! i don't like it myself either. I would say LTR or YFZ. i would stay away from the new '09 model of the YFZ let them work out the bugs first.

05-18-2009, 08:54 PM
LTR or YFZ. If staying close to stock LTR. If you got money KTM is best.

woodsracer144
05-18-2009, 09:04 PM
i never thought about the ktm...

i just dont want a 450r.. i can lig my 250r more then i can my friends 450r... its a total dog... and i hate it...

i thought i would by a quad that had all the work done to it already... even if i had to rebuild the shocks it would be cheaper then buyin the new quad, then buyin shocks a-arms swinger... build the motor... so on and so on...

as of right now heres what i have... i cracked my swinger... and did it good... one of the two rails that runs from the pivot bolt to the carrier is cracked almost all the way to through... so im waiting one to come in... i ended up gettin a LSR...

i love how the 250r handles and i love my no link set up... but i miss my 426 motor... that thing came and hit... some times more then needed...

anyways here you go...

i'll post some pics of the swinger when i change it out...

BakerRacing40
05-18-2009, 09:33 PM
i personally like my yfz. find somebody that has one and ask them if you can take it for a spin. i'm going to buy a new quad in the next few months and still not sure what i'm getting. i'm wanting to see if the yfz450r is going to have any problems, if not it's going to be a flat track / tt animal for me..

sparks 450
05-19-2009, 05:35 PM
honda trx 450 . most wins most titles last 5 years.

motofreak2772
05-19-2009, 05:56 PM
yfz.... ew.
Forget the most pro wins. That doesnt mean anything. I personally think the trx would be a great choice if you plan on doing a complete build(like you would have to do with the yfz). If you dont want a honda than fine.
If you want to get a quad that comes race ready and you dont want to do much to it, than get the ltr. Since you like yamaha you may want to look into the yfzr.
But Im just telling you again that there is nothing wrong with the trx and if you put money into it, it will be a top runner.

JParisi48
05-19-2009, 06:16 PM
id say kfx or trx honda and kawi are up there then id give it to suzuki, ktm, yamaha, then polaris, the kfx and 450r are nasty once they are built, but stock they arent too race ready...

BakerRacing40
05-19-2009, 06:18 PM
i've been wanting to take a built trx450 out to the track but haven't ever had the chance.. i have a 400ex and i like it a lot but it doesn't have the hp to go to the big tracks that i go to... indoor though its pretty good never entered it though just used to practice and condition my self. the ltr and yfz-r would be good to me cause i wouldn't have to buy a-arms and axle, but i've been looking for a trx450 frame to do a ground up build on.. just haven't found much..

sparks 450
05-19-2009, 06:22 PM
stock the honda is not as competitive on the mx track. in the woods , sand as good as any. bulit it is as good as it gets. they win in every type and class of racing not just the pro classes.

woodsracer144
05-19-2009, 08:38 PM
The thing I don't like about the trx450 r is that you can't lug it much at all... I lug my 250r more then I can my buddy 450... Where I'm training tight now it's allot of wfo and hammer down and it's rough it's 3 miles long and I can't do 2 laps in a row at my fast pace because it's so tirering... How much are these built quads sellin for now?

BakerRacing40
05-19-2009, 09:16 PM
there's a couple pretty nice trx's on ebay for 6000 and up.... but right now i'm looking at a 2009 yfz-r with Rossier pipe, powercommander five, roberts racing a-arms and -2 swing arm, billet hubs with honda bolt pattern, rath racing front bumper grab bar nerfs swing arm and sway bar, quad tech seat, pep front shocks, gytr kill switch, asv levers and some other little stuff.. but not sure yet.. need to buy some parts for mine or use mine as a back up bike.. what do you think? i'm trying to get some more info on the R to see if its worth it or not...

woodsracer144
05-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Ever think about sellin some of your other quads you run much? Also think of how much more will the yfzr would help you to be faster if at all... Also what is the price to make your quad go that fast... That's what I'm thinking of....

BakerRacing40
05-19-2009, 10:23 PM
i'd love to get rid of some stuff but i really can't part ways with them.. lol .. i need to go ahead and build this engine and new exhaust and some other little touches probably about a grand there, send the shocks for a rebuild and put some nice springs on it (shocks are still perfect as far as i can tell), need an axle and bearing carrier for a new rear swinger i have. and that's about it unless i start into upgrading shocks or better aftermarket a arms... i've already worked a deal to get engine built, inspect everything port and polish, a lil valve work, and the cost on that is me buying a piston, timing chain, and a few gaskets.. 250 bucks so all in all i oughta just keep mine and have a fully built quad that's paid off...

sparks 450
05-19-2009, 11:41 PM
change front sprocket one tooth and your problem will be solved.

BakerRacing40
05-20-2009, 06:28 AM
i have a 15 tooth on the front and 38 tooth on the back gives a whole lot more gear. i gotta change rear before i go back to a track in nashoba, ok. i am on the box in fifth headed to turn three.. i've been looking at dyno sheets and i'm thinking that a decent built yfz can out power the yfz-r with a few things on it.. has any body on here had a yfz that's tried stock cams vs cam mod with stock cams vs dirt bike cam vs aftermarket cams? i'm thinking that i'm just going to get the exhaust cam out of the dirt bike?