PDA

View Full Version : MX built YFZR vs MX built YFZ. worth the switch?

#17YFZRACER
05-18-2009, 05:38 PM
i have a YFZ now that im debating on selling to get the R. i have alot of $$$$$ in this one and was wondering how much am i going to invest in the R to be as fast on it as i am on this one. its kind of a dumb question i guess but dont want to spend money if its not gonna make an improvement. i race local A and just need some honest answers. thanks

Seed
05-18-2009, 06:24 PM
I'd say stick to your you already built yfz. People are finding out that the new yfz450r is kind of a flop. It has a notorious bog with EFI which actually makes me chuckle, last thing id expect from a EFI system let alone from a power house such as yamaha. Also people are having a hard time of actually getting power out of the motor with mods. If you were going to step up to a new quad I'd look at the KTM. Other than that I'd stick with your built yfz for now. At least wait until yamaha fixes their EFI system and maybe does some more revamping of there new YFZ450R.

bferg911
05-18-2009, 07:38 PM
I would have to agree. Non biased as I own a yfz and a ktm. yamaha sat on their asses while they were king of the mountain did no more r&d , just got a bit much ego while ktm did a ****load of research and came out of the box with a knockout punch. Like I said I have both and the R was built in a hurry trying to catch up.

Ride1Rob
05-18-2009, 08:17 PM
There are those that have posted that the R in stock form is better than a full race built YFZ. I have a hard time believing this myself but... I surely don't think that the bike is a flop. I say if you get a chance ride an R and make your decision based on that.

#17YFZRACER
05-18-2009, 08:43 PM
i know the R isnt a flop. i only saw one at the track in person. i raced him and i got 3rd overall and he got 2nd. not sure what was done to it motor wise but it had stock suspension and a-arms and same model hipers as i do with some kind of holeshots. i have the quadcross mx pros and it seemed like he was hooking better. it wasnt skill cuz we both are pretty equal. its really not the bike that will make you faster but if it all works well as a whole that makes it more confidence inspiring. i just need a really comfortable good handling bike. the one i have isnt bad or anything but i was pretty impressed by the R. im a taller guy so that makes it a little harder. 6ft 180lbs

bferg911
05-18-2009, 08:48 PM
I understand completely what you are saying. I think if you get a chance you should take a ride on the ktm no matter what model. You will be pleasantly surprised. Hope it works out for you.

Ride1Rob
05-19-2009, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by #17YFZRACER
i know the R isnt a flop. i only saw one at the track in person. i raced him and i got 3rd overall and he got 2nd. not sure what was done to it motor wise but it had stock suspension and a-arms and same model hipers as i do with some kind of holeshots. i have the quadcross mx pros and it seemed like he was hooking better.

That was your opportunity to get valuable info from the guy you were racing against. You could have found out what all was done to the guys bike and based your decision on that info.

griffin32
05-19-2009, 11:31 PM
I have an r and the only bog you have is stock and its only off of idle when you push it wide open

#17YFZRACER
05-20-2009, 09:02 PM
i talked to the guy about it but he really didnt answer my questions at all for some reason then he left. i tried

daddio
05-21-2009, 02:44 PM
My kid has both. A full race YFZ with a built motor, and a mostly stock YFZR, that is down about 5hp to our YFZ.

He likes the R over the standard YFZ, even on a high hp track. The R rides better and handles better and is easier to ride faster.

It's only a matter of time until someone figures out how to make the motor respond to upgrades.

400grl
05-27-2009, 09:18 AM
My husband races a fully built YFZ - he still says he likes my almost stock YFZR a little better. I don't get a bog on acceleration - perhaps my EFI settings are correct?

To say Yamaha sat on their ***** while other companies built bette quads is pretty ignorant - Yamaha didn't get where they are at by hanging out and being full of themselves......they have always been at the forefront of the cool new machines (Blaster, Banshee, Raptor, YFZ, Rhino), and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I would say, to the original poster....it's going to come down to personal preference. If you can get a leg over someone's built YFZR, then do it! I personally feel MUCH more comfortable on my YFZR than I did my fully built YFZ. It's partly ergonomics, partly that it's just easier to ride, partly because it's SO well balanced that it's very easy for me to move around in the air, and partly because I really like my stock suspension......

Good luck!

heartattack01
06-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Saying that the YFZ-R is a flop is a crock of $&!%. I have a friend that started racing only 3 years ago on a beautifully built 05 YFZ. He just finished building his YFZ-R for this year and he's doing the PRO class with STOCK SUSPENSION! until his Roll Design/Fox's come in. He doesn't complain about any kind of bog AND he says the stock YFZ-R suspension outperforms his Houser/Elka setup on the 05.

Groundworx
06-10-2009, 07:07 PM
If there is a bog, couldn't you get a power commander and tune it? Chances are, that would be one of the first mods on a EFI quad anyway...

mildtowildracin
06-22-2009, 06:12 PM
iv rode both my friends YFZR'S. one has wheels tires and GYTR exhaust. and the other is completly stock... my friend that has the R with the mods has a race ready 05 yfz and i rode that to... i think the R is WAYY better

woodside83
06-23-2009, 07:00 PM
i had a race yfz , and i still have my R. At first i was not so sure about it. but after getting dialed for me i like it better. the race yfz is better than a stock R but if you plan on pimping it out then it would be a very mean quad. the new frame is so balanced. just ride one and see what you think.