PDA

View Full Version : all roll design frame experts

55stone
05-18-2009, 05:37 PM
hey guys my buddy bought a roll design frame its a 03 i believe but anyways we cant figure out the air box..we know it has to go back a inch further to clear the rear shock...but when you put it back far enough to clear the shock there is no way to put it on the frame..the hole in back wont match up and then there is no way that the front part where it slides onto those little tabs that stick out of the frame..when it goes back as far as its suppose to it doesnt have anywhere to mount. and also we have the metal adapter that goes on the carb to make it stick back further and when we use that with the stock air boot then its no where near working it is way to long even when the airbox is way way back like as far back as it will go inside the subframe... i just need pics of someone that has one installed or any ideas or thoughts would be amazing...we are really stuck on this..its something so easy but yet we can figure it out..so pictures or anything would be great guys..thanks
stone

addictedtomud
05-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Are you using the 88-89 airbox? It's the one with the notch for the rear shock. I opted to remove my reed spacer because it was a royal pain to get the carb in and out. I couldn't tell a difference in the way it ran anyway!

05-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Forget about using the airbox mounts on the subframe. They won't work with a stock style airbox. It will mount up but as soon as the rear shock compresses it will break the airbox. Doug Roll was making custom airboxes to clear the rear shock for a while but they must not have worked too well because before long they just started modding stock airboxes to work on the chassis. You have to cut the rear mount off of the airbox so you can move it back on the subframe. Most people just zip tie the airbox to the subframe.

CHARLES Andrews
05-18-2009, 09:27 PM
8686 is correct, the Duncan roll frames had the rear
mount cut off. You have to cut a square hole where
The mount attaches to the box. Then ziptie to the top rails of the subframe.

Jonny B
05-18-2009, 11:57 PM
A guy on here went to JRD Racing and had a nice aluminum one made for his lobo. Maybe he can chime in on this.

Honda 250r 001
05-19-2009, 08:26 AM
no link?

05-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
no link?

All Roll Design Lobo chassis are no link rears.:huh

Honda 250r 001
05-19-2009, 06:53 PM
dont **** your self im not a roll frame expert. You need to move the airbox back and use a lt 500 airboot.

55stone
05-20-2009, 05:13 PM
ya we talked to the guy that he bought the frame off of and there is a hole in the subframe and we drilled in the airbox and then we ran a bolt through the hole from the inside to the outside hole becuase the hole int he subframe is threaded...so thats how we were told to do it...but i tried to talk my friend into just ziptying but he wouldnt do it... oh we also had to cut that piece off that the back wher eit normal hooks to the back of the subframe...then move it back and we drilled a hole through their an ran a bolt through the normal hole in the subframe and into the hole we drilled in the airbox and then put a nut on it inside the airbox..but it still looks like its going to hit the very last or second to last coil if it bottoms out...but i told him not to worry about it..and yes it is back as far as it can go...

Mony25
05-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Well this is my first post on this site so Hi eeryone I am the friend he is talking about. We got it figured out for now. I say for now this winter im going to have an aluminum one made that fits in the frame like the stock one should lol.

Master LTR450
05-20-2009, 10:30 PM
I will get you pic of my setup. its an aftermarket aluminum box thats easily modded. you do need a lt500 boot and an extension piece as well.