PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust help

Jdev3407
05-18-2009, 03:13 PM
I have a 2005 400ex with a lexx Me slip on and was to get a ful kit was thinking either a Curtis sparks X-6 full or an HMF Full was wondering what is the best for right now and for future work to be done cause there will be work done to this quad :)

BEAVER.989
05-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Curtis Sparks is widley refered to as the best with HMF a close second according to most.

The Sparks pipe comes in either standard or Big Core. The standard is better for stock motors to simple bolt on, while the Big Core is better for bigbore/race motors.

05-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by BEAVER.989
Curtis Sparks is widley refered to as the best with HMF a close second according to most.

The Sparks pipe comes in either standard or Big Core. The standard is better for stock motors to simple bolt on, while the Big Core is better for bigbore/race motors.

nothing more to be said. its really whether or not you want to pay the extra for the Sparks. Theres also been a debate over the HMF actually making more power than the Sparks. Cant go wrong with either though.

droppedmazda
05-18-2009, 06:04 PM
get the sparks and never look back, you wont be let down.

Jdev3407
05-18-2009, 07:26 PM
well im gonna do work this winter but my only upgrade is my slip on right now i wanna get a 450 carb and stage 2 hot cam and some others but i also have a Uni Filter but i want alot of power now and for when i Do more work so i dont have to get a better one over time i just wanna buy one nmow and stick with it for the long run

honda400-4-ever
05-18-2009, 07:46 PM
pro circuit t-4 slip-on followed by a fmf powerbomb i have it on my bike and i screams past all the 400's with hmf full system. i havent had any experience racing a 400 with sparks exhaust where i ride most people have hmf's but my combo is awesome the t-4 is a bottom end pipe and with the powerbomb it has a nice top end. thats all i have on my bike except for jetting

iownatoyota
05-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Duncan has some amazing pipes

scuzz
05-19-2009, 02:12 PM
The power difference is nominal in my opinion.

BEAVER.989
05-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
The power difference is nominal in my opinion.

This is what I gathered through my research, as well.

Sparks and HMF are always rated number one and number two, not necessarily in that order, though. After that it seems to almost come down to which one has the better price and/or looks.

416exman21
05-19-2009, 06:35 PM
curtis sparks hands down---- i got a lrd full exhaust off ebay for $400 . i would say for the price difference between lrd and sparks it was well worth the lrd.

Jdev3407
05-20-2009, 02:32 PM
well i just bid on and HMF slip onm off ebay a display one for 50 bucks but can u get a head pipe alone for them to make a full exhaust what are the best ones ??

Snipe
05-20-2009, 02:44 PM
From what I have read the only dif between stock pipes and after market pipes (headers in this sence) is that its of dif metal compound and you disapate heat faster causing a dif tone and better displacement (as in air flow).

Other than that there really is no dif between a stock header and aftermarket. I have a white bro's full kit and the header other than being pure stainless is no dif of my stock header.

matt14c
05-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by honda400-4-ever
pro circuit t-4 slip-on followed by a fmf powerbomb i have it on my bike and i screams past all the 400's with hmf full system. i havent had any experience racing a 400 with sparks exhaust where i ride most people have hmf's but my combo is awesome the t-4 is a bottom end pipe and with the powerbomb it has a nice top end. thats all i have on my bike except for jetting

I had a similar setup because I too went with a slip on to start with and didnt want to waste my muffler or spend $500 + on a new system so I bought a FMF Hi-Flo header and it made a pretty big difference over the stock header with big gun slip on that I had. An FMF headpipe either one the Hi-flo or powerbomb are like $230 then with the money you save you could buy the cam, carb , and sparks key and you would run really well.

05-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Jdev3407
well i just bid on and HMF slip onm off ebay a display one for 50 bucks but can u get a head pipe alone for them to make a full exhaust what are the best ones ??

HMF, send them the slip on and $250 they will do pipe change on the silencer portion and give you the headers. So bsically you got a full system for $300. Pretty good eh?

2001trx400ex
06-18-2009, 12:09 AM
go HMF all the way just the slip ons are amazing hp increase