View Full Version : closelined on hillclimb

buck440
05-18-2009, 11:06 AM
just a short video of me and my friend riding at old strip mine and he finally got the OO's to climb the steepest one at the end but i said at first we should move the tree but he didn't think we needed to. even though it cost him a broken pair of crowbar goggles and a tossed bike it was funny and some how he landed on his feet:) <a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=57535210">Flipping bike on steep *** hill</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=57535210,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=57535210,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

trick450r
05-18-2009, 02:32 PM
"whoa.....DAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGG I dint thank youd make it that far":D

trick450r
05-18-2009, 02:34 PM
it only gets better

"DAMN that ****s straight up, holy **** man"

416exfreak
05-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Why does he have his bike idled up so high?

fastredrider44
05-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Awesome:o

05-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by trick450r
it only gets better

"DAMN that ****s straight up, holy **** man"

lol i've hit much steeper hills on a 400ex things that were litterally straight up. What we used to hit would make that in the video look like the base of it.

LTandRaptorider
05-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
lol i've hit much steeper hills on a 400ex things that were litterally straight up. What we used to hit would make that in the video look like the base of it.

Pics or vids? :confused: ;)

k4f5x0r
05-18-2009, 03:26 PM
friend in a place we used to ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmCNC4a0LAQ&NR=1

05-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Pics or vids? :confused: ;)

I'll get you some but I wont be jumping them again anywhere in the near future. I like being able to walk and after what happened i'm terrified to hit these things again. I should have known it wasnt the best idea when dirtbikers wont hit it because they usually hit the things that I say heck no to. I got so caught up in it just having a crowd of people to actually watch my friend and I go up these and be amazed it felt good ya know to be one of the few to do something. I dont have pictures of all of them never really thought about taking pictures because its basically my backyard its not like the cliffs were going anywhere and I figured I would always be jumping them. Bummer on that part not to have good documentation. My friend would try just about anything trying to go up and I dont have pictures of that stuff either. He had this bright idea that maybe you could go up something that is angled back and make it nah he did a backflip **** was wild and he would just get up and try another hill.

05-18-2009, 03:53 PM
I'll have to go back to the scenes of some and take pictures. Wont have anyone going up though unfortunately, friend is doing quite a bit of time for robbing a gas station with a sawed off shotgun :/

05-18-2009, 03:54 PM
heres another angle

Tommy Warren
05-18-2009, 04:10 PM
sounds like you need new friends!

buck440
05-18-2009, 04:30 PM
lol i've hit much steeper hills on a 400ex things that were litterally straight up. What we used to hit would make that in the video look like the base of it. video does no justice for this hill, if you live close come on down and tryer out or anybody else that thinks they can do it, just message me. 416exfreak, yah idk why he has his idle that high:confused: btw i didn't even try to climb it.

05-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
sounds like you need new friends!

Its not his fault though. Its the situation not the person. How he grew up he tried to get away from that lifestyle having friends and a brother always in trouble with the law. He was doing real good for a while had a girl friend and kid, worked 2 jobs to support them and pay people he owed off, moved into a nicer house closer to his work to save gas, said he was glad he got his life back on track why run from the law your whole life. Then something happen and he robbed a gas station, statistically crime like this goes up during economic hardships. Sad to see that kind of thing happen when he was making such an effort to turn his life around. Sucks I wont get to hang out with him or go riding for a long time. We used to ride every weekend and it was a blast because i've never ridden with anyone that good before. Wish I had a video he would try any jump, hill/cliff, gap and would ride like a maniac. He was basically the master at wheelies too. Give him anything and he could ride a wheelie as long as the road or area allows just cruising.

RIDEREDson
05-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Link don't work for me... Just takes me to google...

buck440
05-18-2009, 07:02 PM
video should pop up

250x_kyle
05-18-2009, 07:07 PM
if you think those are big dont go to hatfield to ride.

buck440
05-18-2009, 07:51 PM
more like if you don't think these are big ride them. i'll give anybody $50 who can make it up all the way on a quad:blah: **will be recorded for laughs at attempts** the one at the end that is:macho

300racer
05-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by buck440
more like if you don't think these are big ride them. i'll give anybody $50 who can make it up all the way on a quad:blah: **will be recorded for laughs at attempts** the one at the end that is:macho
i live in centralia about an 1 1/2 from you it looks like pm me your number and i will come up there in a couple weeks after the casey race and look at it and might try it if it isn't rediculous (sp) i know video's don't do hills justice but i will come down there and ride. do you care if i bring 1 other person to ride?

buck440
05-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by 300racer
i live in centralia about an 1 1/2 from you it looks like pm me your number and i will come up there in a couple weeks after the casey race and look at it and might try it if it isn't rediculous (sp) i know video's don't do hills justice but i will come down there and ride. do you care if i bring 1 other person to ride? come on down when ever and bring who ever. i always ride with my friend in the video, in about 2 square miles of the place there are about 50 decent hills....pm sent

RIDEREDson
05-19-2009, 11:43 AM
all I know is there's a video of a octopus and a link that takes you too google... Can someone please post the link

Scro
05-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Can't see the video, but I'd take you up on your offer:o

buck440
05-19-2009, 02:36 PM
works fine for me and others, don't know what's wrong:confused:

fastredrider44
05-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Can't see the video, but I'd take you up on your offer:o

Show your "wall"

300ex_#387
05-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by 300racer
i live in centralia about an 1 1/2 from you it looks like pm me your number and i will come up there in a couple weeks after the casey race and look at it and might try it if it isn't rediculous (sp) i know video's don't do hills justice but i will come down there and ride. do you care if i bring 1 other person to ride?

What is your name and number? I also race at casey.

Scro
05-19-2009, 03:09 PM
1 - Work has myspace blocked.

Scro
05-19-2009, 03:09 PM

Scro
05-19-2009, 03:10 PM
The cost of not making it:huh

Scro
05-19-2009, 03:11 PM
:devil:

fastredrider44
05-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Is this why you didn't race the last couple? I thought you said it was cause a girlie in your life.;)

Rough luck for someone.

Pappy
05-19-2009, 03:27 PM
I wouldnt bet Scro to do anything involving a hill...

I will say that if he screws up this masterpiece I am working on for him I will plant my boot in his arse:macho

300racer
05-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
What is your name and number? I also race at casey.
my name is michael coker i have #628 on the quad. what's your nam and #?

Scro
05-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I wouldnt bet Scro to do anything involving a hill...

I will say that if he screws up this masterpiece I am working on for him I will plant my boot in his arse:macho

Can I get a little leeway? after 6 months the boot in the arse thing is off:p

Originally posted by fastredrider44
Is this why you didn't race the last couple? I thought you said it was cause a girlie in your life.

Rough luck for someone.

No, that pic was from a couple years ago. Aint no woman tellin me I can't race...it was the bank that said no more racing lol.

RIDEREDson
05-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Ss that "the wall" in Tennesee?

mittman
05-20-2009, 11:55 AM
I hate vid recorders you can never tell how big the hill really is. There is a couple places around me that have some good hills. We only got a couple sec of hillclimbing that day.(starts at 2:26)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BRTbYreOx9c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BRTbYreOx9c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

jcs003
05-20-2009, 12:14 PM
mittman: would of been a good video if you could keep your pants on lol

mittman
05-20-2009, 12:24 PM
I forgot about that part and no that was not me that was my friends little bro I didnt record that part. I was only in charge of the jumping and hillclimbing lol

Scro
05-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by RIDEREDson
Ss that "the wall" in Tennesee?

Yes

RIDEREDson
05-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Yes

Yeah there's a vid on youtube of a guy on a 250r climbing it.

Did you make it up at all or do it again and not make it?

jcs003
05-21-2009, 10:23 AM

does anyone have the link to that video?

powermadd400ex
05-21-2009, 10:35 AM

its actually greg little, it was a small segment in heuvos 4 i believe.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jXnOXTiwJLM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jXnOXTiwJLM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

jcs003
05-21-2009, 11:01 AM
thats pretty sweet. i actually did some hills similiar to that in dried creek beds. but its hard to tell the magnitude from the cam view.

Scro
05-21-2009, 12:34 PM
The part that Greg is coming up in the video, I've hit many times and never fallen off it. If you look at the second pic I posted, I tried to climb up to the right of the tree thats overhanging the ledge. I made it the first time perfect. Second time not so great...hence the destruction pics:p

reptikes
05-21-2009, 06:25 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Except on a 450r. To me thats just a hill in the woods.

reptikes
05-21-2009, 06:31 PM
The part that Greg is coming up in the video, I've hit many times and never fallen off it. If you look at the second pic I posted, I tried to climb up to the right of the tree thats overhanging the ledge. I made it the first time perfect. Second time not so great...hence the destruction pics:p

Nice hill scro. Is that a first gear hill (on a 450r)? Or are you tapping into second ?

RIDEREDson
05-22-2009, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by reptikes
Nice hill scro. Is that a first gear hill (on a 450r)? Or are you tapping into second ?

Most big hills I usually hit in 2nd. Sometimes 1st is too low and slow and causes me not to make it.

reptikes
05-22-2009, 05:45 AM
Most big hills I usually hit in 2nd. Sometimes 1st is too low and slow and causes me not to make it.

When i had the '04 450r, if they where on the shorter side but (straight up and down) steep i'd do them in first. First gear on my '04 seemed long compared to my other gears and long compared to the gears on a 400 or 250r. Almost like when i was at the end of first every one else was at the end of second... Man i loved that quad!

Scro
05-22-2009, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by reptikes

If I were geared any lower, I would have to hit it in second. I can get just enough speed in first.

RIDEREDson
05-22-2009, 01:01 PM
this is the vid I was talking about.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zbA9516mzFE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zbA9516mzFE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

RIDEREDson
05-22-2009, 01:02 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P3fL20jWi-0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P3fL20jWi-0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

631kfx400
05-22-2009, 01:06 PM
crazy ish:muscle:

Scro
05-22-2009, 01:14 PM
The first video you posted and the video that powermadd posted is actually the same person, Greg Little. They were probably shot on the same day if I had to guess (what you see in Huevos 4).

The vid you posted, WP2, is actually not in the same location as the wall. It's not as challenging because you have a run at it, but it's still fun.

RIDEREDson
05-22-2009, 01:22 PM
The first video you posted and the video that powermadd posted is actually the same person, Greg Little. They were probably shot on the same day if I had to guess (what you see in Huevos 4).

The vid you posted, WP2, is actually not in the same location as the wall. It's not as challenging because you have a run at it, but it's still fun.

Yeah greg little sounded like he was flying. I always wondered what quad was the best setup for climbing hills. I would think a MX setup would work good since you're closer to the ground. I usually ride on my trail tires but I was thinking if trying them on my MX tires would make it easier.

RIDEREDson
05-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Yeah greg little sounded like he was flying. I always wondered what quad was the best setup for climbing hills. I would think a MX setup would work good since you're closer to the ground. I usually ride on my trail tires but I was thinking if trying them on my MX tires to see if its easier. I'm just tired of flipping and replacing stems.

Scro
05-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Yeah greg little sounded like he was flying. I always wondered what quad was the best setup for climbing hills. I would think a MX setup would work good since you're closer to the ground. I usually ride on my trail tires but I was thinking if trying them on my MX tires would make it easier.

Actually it's opposite of that. Not having enough ground clearance can be a bad thing on a rough, rooted hill. When I was climbing hills all the time, and not racing, I would run no swinger skidplate to gain clearance.

I had my fair share of broken chains and bent rotors, but it's really the only way to go when you're climbing the rough stuff.

For this new build, I'm gonna be running the GTT sprocket and rotor guard. The sprocket guard gains you a ton of clearance, and the rotor guard slides over stuff better than a steel skidplate...we'll see.

RIDEREDson
05-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Actually it's opposite of that. Not having enough ground clearance can be a bad thing on a rough, rooted hill. When I was climbing hills all the time, and not racing, I would run no swinger skidplate to gain clearance.

I had my fair share of broken chains and bent rotors, but it's really the only way to go when you're climbing the rough stuff.

Yeh a bad rooted hill would be an exception. But say ones that aren't crazy rooted. I dont run a skid either because I've got hung up on hills before with it. I just dont ride trails with rocks and stumps everywhere.

Scro
05-22-2009, 01:35 PM
With smooth hills, I really don't think ride height makes that much difference in keeping the front end down. That's what they make extended swigners for:devil:

I've always ran an XC setup, so I'm really not sure how an MX setup would do. Greg had an MX setup in the video, but that's not really a "climbing" hill where you are doing alot of clutching, and keep your momentum up.

RIDEREDson
05-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Yeh I noticed that. Hills like that seems like you just gun it and jump up it.

Yeah most the hills I have around have bumps and roots just not any crazy roots that'll hang me up being low. So I call them smooth(er) hills. I'll be way over the bars and I'll still hit wheelie spots climbing. Sucks when you lose it and have to watch your quad tumble.