PDA

View Full Version : how do they work?????

redonkulousruntsracing
05-18-2009, 09:57 AM
If my front variator is closing too soon, do I need lighter rollers or heavier?? I think I under stand how the torsion spring works and the shoe springs. My sons quad seems like is leaving the line in high gear. Once going, it rips. lots of top end and good power out of the corners. Just dead off the line. I dont know what weight the rollers are and they dont say on em. I have a 1000 Koso white torsion spring and Koso 2000 shoe springs. With the bike on a stand, you can hit the throttle and when the engine comes up, you can hear it shift into high gear in like a half a second after the clutch engages. I always thought that a lighter roller needed more rpm's to close the front variator, there fore a longer shift time.

nordic quad
05-18-2009, 10:46 AM
I would use a higher or the same rpm torque spring as in your clutch but roller weights also play a big part.We finaly hit the jackpot on my sons Apex 70,we have a custom mx pipe and a lithle tweaking on stock top end and stock carb.We use stock clutch and bell with Koso 1500rpm springs,2000rpm ZTR torque spring and stock vario with aftermarket faceplate and 3.5g Dr.Pulley sliders,we now have over 10hrs. of hard interval training at the tracks without a single stall or bog,thats a new record for us.Cleaned everything up the other day and put everthing back in again and still runs strong:muscle: This set up works perfeckt for us at all the tracks we race so big thanks to James the ZTR man and Jetmedic

qcitytile
05-18-2009, 11:05 AM
If it's closing to soon lighter rollers will help but you might lose mid to top if you go to light, but I think you should go to at least a 1500 koso or maybe a 1500 ztr torque spring witch I beleive is a little stiffer than the koso torque spring. I would try one thing at a time. We have been fighting with the same issue and I had to go all the way to a koso 2000 t spring with 21grams of rollers. Hope this helps a little. You might talk to Gary at G-Force Powersports also he seems to know a lot about the cvt.

CORE
05-19-2009, 05:55 AM
The stock rollers for the MXR50cc apex are. 3 grams and the rear main drive spring is 1000 rpm, recently i replaced the rear drive spring w/ koso 1000 (white) no effect on performance or speed still getting about 38.5 mph. If the varitor is closing to soon lower the roller weight., I beleive the smallest rollers are 3 gram and no smaller ones are avalible. At meijers or walmart in the small applience section you can get a digital gram/once scale for about $35.00

bulldogfallon
05-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Give me a call

You have to look at the CVT as a whole, not just 3 functions separately.

I'll work you through the mechanics of it and then you won't need to make posts like this.

You will be able answer them with theory behind it.

I don't know if anyone has enough info from you to actually help you since there could be other factors contributing to your issue

Rollers are just 1 part of the cvt

Get that quad off the stand---It doesn't translate to the ground

redonkulousruntsracing
05-19-2009, 06:23 AM
Gary , I will try to call you later. I am still trying to wrap my head around the whole concept. I'm an old snowmobiler, so I have to try and forget all I know about setting up sleds. They are not the same.

redonkulousruntsracing
05-19-2009, 07:44 AM
I just weighed the rollers. 3 grams.