PDA

View Full Version : Motocrossing a 250R in 2009 (Round Two) w/ pics and vid.

Derrick Adams
05-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Well, we can skip all the introductions and get down to the race results in this thread, since we covered all that in the Round One thread.

At our last race we found some areas that we felt we could improve on the machine and we made a few of those changes before this weeks race. The last thing we want to do is make a bunch of changes all at once and not know what is working and what isn't.

With that said, these are the minor changes we made. First and most importantly we bumped up from a 13 tooth to a 14 tooth front sprocket. This was done to move the power in the corners down into second gear instead of third, like it was in the first race. This worked perfectly with second gear being a much tighter gear ratio and now there is virtually no slipping of the clutch to get the machine accelerating hard out of the corners. As a matter of fact I think I may have feathered the clutch 3 or 4 times the whole day.
The second addition was kind of unneccessary, but we added an ez-pull clutch lever as well.

With just these two changes it not only made the bike much more managable, but also really reduced my rider fatigue. Just because the bike is so much more rider friendly.

On to the racing!

Moto One:

There were 4 entries in the class again. This time there were 2 400EX's, one stock and one mildly built for MX. There was also the same Z400 (who will from now on be known as my arch rival) and myself.

I had last gate pick for the moto, which really didn't matter to me because heck, there were only 4 of us. I lined up on the outside and got settled in. When the gate fell I came out hard in 1st gear ( I wont do that again) and immediately had to shift to 2nd then 3rd. I managed to get to the corner first, but was soon met by the front wheels of my arch rival fighting for my spot. He managed to push me hard enough that my bike almost stalled and that was all the window he needed. The EX's were just behind us.

I quickly stabbed the clutch and downshifted and was off like a rocket hot on the heels of the suzuki. I settled in comfortably behind him and focused on riding smooth. This was a five lap moto and I remembered all too well being exhausted after 2 at the last race. Turned out I never did get tired, but I never had a chance to make a move after the first couple laps. I did pay close attention to my rivals riding style and learned alot of his weaknesses, which would come into play in the second moto.

One of the things I figured out was that my 250R flys WAAAY better through the air than that tank of a zuk. I almost landed on him over the 90ft table top. We hit it at the same speed with maybe 4 quad lengths between us and his bike dropped like a rock and landed about 55ft out. I was sailing thru the air staring down at his helmet thinking "Oh $h!t, this isn't good!" I landed about 75ft out, right behind him, and I mean RIGHT behind him.

To make matters worse I was trying to scrub speed and dropped my nose so when I landed it was a nice crunch, as the frame hit the ground and my helmet rattled. lol

Anyhow, long story short I took second behind him in the first moto with the EXs taking 3rd and 4th. We actually lapped one of them. I left the moto charged up and ready for more. My rival left gasping for air and coughing. Hmmm, must of wore him out running from me. I got a kick out of that. Best part is, he's at least 10 years younger than me!

Moto Two:

I lined up on the outside again this time, just because the dirt looked so good, and lets be honest a 2 stroke should do better on the outside where you can keep it revving. I looked over at my favorite zuk rider and he looked like he was going to throw up. He had his head laying on his handle bars. I had to laugh, because at that point I knew I was in his head and he was nervous. I was amped up now!

When the gate dropped we were off, side by side again. We made it around the first corner that way, me doing the now patented one wheel wheelie (only a 250R owner would understand). He snuck just ahead of me in the next turn but I hung right on him.

** I'm interjecting in the story to add an important detail here. They changed the track a little since the last race and added a new 55ft triple (which I had yet to jump) and a section of 6 whoops.**

So we now hit the first uphill double and I about land on him again so I back off a little. I watched him sweep the corner and hit the new triple but I double, singled it. I was thinking that if I hit it and he crashed in front of me it would be the end of both of us.

Not suprisingly the 250R reeled him right back in thru the whoops. A couple more turns and jumps went by with me nipping at his heals and then I had my chance. The same turn that he stuffed me into the tree in the first race, except this time the roles were reversed!

As soon as I saw him going wide to sweep the berm I immediately pulled in the clutch and downshifted to second, while at the same time locked up the back brakes and put the bike sideways in a slide. As soon as I reached the apex of the corner I dove inside, pinned the throttle and dumped the clutch. It was like being shot out of a cannon. The bike LEAPED out of the inside of the corner and I was gone! He never had a chance. lol.

I ran out in front for the next two laps with him right behind me. I took that new triple this time around pinned in 4th gear, over shooting it by about 5ft. That HURT! Last lap in, he tried to put a pass on me in the same corner I passed him on. Only I knew it was coming this time, so I railed that berm in 3rd gear wide open, holding on for dear life. He managed to get up beside me and we hit the next down hill double side by side. The old 250 out jumped him again and this time I laid the hammer down.

It was a straight out drag race to the next section of jumps and my 250R easily won that. But, I overshot my landing in the last double and washed up over the berm. As I cranked my bike out of the berm I watched my rival and my win fly right by me. 3 turns left and the race was over.

So the Zuk beat me again. I took 2nd over all. BUT i'm just now getting comfortable on the bike and he is running scared! I'm now setting 6 points out and I want to win this championship. 8 races to go. Next race its ON!

One more note before the pics and video. This Halls Performance built TRX330R is the most enjoyable quad I have ever raced. It is a blast to ride and whoop ***** on a 20 year old machine that most people laugh at.... Until the gate drops!

Time for some pics!!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/Round2-2.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/Round2-1.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/Round2-3.jpg

Derrick Adams
05-18-2009, 07:44 AM
Here are the vids. Never tryed posting vids before, so if they dont work, let me know.

Also, I will edit the other post this afternoon, so its easier to read.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/th_028-1.jpg (http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/?action=view&current=028-1.flv)

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/th_029-1.jpg (http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/?action=view&current=029-1.flv)

mcboomport
05-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Awesome! I love reading this ****e..
You'll get him...

Derrick Adams
05-18-2009, 02:10 PM
At the next race I will be jumping into the 450 class as well, to see how I can do against them.

pdxbigfoot
05-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Keep it up and stay on his *****.
You got access to more of those Fast Trekker rears??

T_Bag
05-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Awesome!!!! I've been waiting for round two, and I can't wait for round three. Next time make sure your arch rival stays behind you. Good luck & RIDE HARD!!!!

Theo

Aceman
05-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Awesome thread man! Keep up the riding and writing!:cool:

CorvetteZ06
05-18-2009, 08:20 PM
way to keep the 250R alive..... jkeep it comin!

k265r
05-18-2009, 11:52 PM
I cant wait to hear about round 3

Honda 250r 001
05-19-2009, 08:26 AM
shizz man this is good stuff!

89rwfo
05-19-2009, 08:54 AM
NICE!! YOU SHOLD WRITE A BOOK! LOVE THE DETAIL

05LSR250R
05-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Very entertaining read! Good job once again! What kind of mods does that 400 Zukini have done to it?
I would think your bike would destroy him off the gate!
You got him running scared and I know your gonna break him in two at the next round! Once again......nice job on the racing and the detailed posts! Cheers!

mxduner
05-19-2009, 07:51 PM
this is the shizznit.... damn

k265r
05-31-2009, 12:17 AM
When is the next race?

Derrick Adams
06-01-2009, 07:37 AM
The next race was yesterday. Race results will be posted in a few hours and boy What a day!!