PDA

View Full Version : top end or crank? anyone know

dylanjons
05-17-2009, 09:50 PM
i have an 04, i was riding one day 5th gear half throttle goin along then started to sputter then died, now it will start and idle for about 45 seconds or so then seaze up and needs to be pull started for it to break lose, so i drained the oil and it was clean but there were a bunch of silver metal shaving in the oil filter and in that compartment, i was just wondering if anyone has an idea to what happened if its top end or the crank bearings or what, just want an idea on cost before i tear it down thanks

Ride1Rob
05-18-2009, 06:17 AM
More than likely it's your bearings. Whether it's crank or rod bearings is a guess until you tear it apart.

dylanjons
05-18-2009, 07:04 AM
thanks man it was weird it never ran different or anything just sputtered a bit then died and the engine doesnt make any unusuall sounds so i was or am completly puzzled as to what went wrong, when the money comes ill be tearing it down, if anyone else has any ideas or advice id really appreciate it thanks again

Gommer450r
05-19-2009, 07:02 AM
haha yeah mine did the same it was the bearings
mine was the bottm rod bearing as soon as it would catch the ruff spot it would stop 2 mins later start right up so i would say its in your bearings somewhere

dylanjons
05-21-2009, 06:49 AM
thanks alot for the help guys i was puzzled, should be tearing it apart soon, did you do it yourself or did you have someone else do it, i was just wondering how far you had to tear the motor down if it is the bottom rod bearing