PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Fast!

/infamous/
05-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Okay, ive been having so much trouble with this thing, Coolant is not being pumped back into my radiator(the return hose on the left top of the radiator is dry even after riding.....when i ride enough for my motor to get hot coolant starts blowing out of the hose on my over flow bottle. Even if i drain all of the coolant completely out its still fills back up and blows out. When i shut my quad off and check the level of coolant in my radiator it is to low...like i said it loses it into the overflow bottle. Ive changed me impeller and thermostat, I checked all the hoses and made sure the radiator wasn't clogged. Everything is fine. What else could be the problem???? Oh and after my quad sets overnight and has a chance to completely cool down, a lot pressure is released when i take off my radiator cap. Ive also changed the cap.....AHHH im racing the Steel City national in a week....i dont have time for this crap! Any help would be amazing

/infamous/
05-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Oh and its an 06 450r....it is still running top notch...just rebuilt before i went to Alabama for the Mill Creek National....im just afraid its gonna overheat....and im tired of smelling engine ice leaking and getting all over everything

eastside 400
05-17-2009, 08:32 PM
head gasket could be the problem

/infamous/
05-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Just put a new head gasket on it...i know its possible that it could have already blown but i have lost no power and its not leaking or wet anywhere...ive checked it all around....i thought about letting it run without the thermostat just to see if any coolant would pump back into the radiator.....

hondaracing_13
05-18-2009, 08:33 AM
Just a idea, but could someone have sold you the wrong head gasket. They are different part num's. Yours may be covering a water jacket and not letting the proper flow to your return lines. Just a thought.

/infamous/
05-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Thats a good thought but it didn't leak like this at the first two nationals....it just started doing it bad the past month or so

eastside 400
05-18-2009, 06:40 PM
cracked head maybe, im not saying that the headgasket would leak if its blown either, if it split between the piston hole and a coolant passage it would put compression into the coolant system causing it to go into the overflow and not come out, my car did this a little bit ago, car ran perfect but the coolant would go to the overflow and not back in the radiator, after letting the car cool down overnight and then take the rad cap off there would still be pressure there. threw a headgasket on it and all was good and the gasket didnt even look bad but i guess it wasnt sealing. Let it warm up and them cool down completely then take the cap off and see if theres pressure, there should be, the radiator should create a vacuum when cooling down to pull the coolant back in.

/infamous/
05-18-2009, 09:01 PM
When it cools and i take off the cap a lot of pressure is still released....I checked it today and coolant is reaching the return hose but it must not be going through like it should because of the loss of pressure.....so would it be a good idea to try a new head gasket? What will happen if i go ahead with the steel city national with it still leaking? Is there a good chance it will over heat from the coolant not circulating like it should? Ive practiced on it all week and it hasn't over heated yet but running it at nationals is a different story

416exman21
05-20-2009, 10:23 AM
maybe if u had a heavy modified 400ex you wouldn't have that problem (bullitproof) bow to ur daddy:devil:

Tommy Warren
05-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by /infamous/
Okay, ive been having so much trouble with this thing, Coolant is not being pumped back into my radiator(the return hose on the left top of the radiator is dry even after riding.....when i ride enough for my motor to get hot coolant starts blowing out of the hose on my over flow bottle. Even if i drain all of the coolant completely out its still fills back up and blows out. When i shut my quad off and check the level of coolant in my radiator it is to low...like i said it loses it into the overflow bottle. Ive changed me impeller and thermostat, I checked all the hoses and made sure the radiator wasn't clogged. Everything is fine. What else could be the problem???? Oh and after my quad sets overnight and has a chance to completely cool down, a lot pressure is released when i take off my radiator cap. Ive also changed the cap.....AHHH im racing the Steel City national in a week....i dont have time for this crap! Any help would be amazing

I might be wrong....but I'm sure I'm not. but the fluid goes into the rad at the top left and comes out on the bottom right. if its not going in the top left that means there is no fluid going into the rad am I right? maybe you have an air lock or something and its just pushing air into your rad causing the fluid in the overflow. Am I making any sence here?:huh

416exman21
05-21-2009, 07:01 AM
all jokes aside---i agree with the other guy up there- try to loosen the drain valve on the rad to release some air--good luck i hate last min **** ups too!

eastside 400
05-21-2009, 05:02 PM
take the cap off the rad and let it run for a while until the thermostat opens and that should get rid of air pockets

Under Wood
05-22-2009, 07:19 AM
Auto mechanics have a test kit that will tell you if you have hydro carbons in your coolant. Works on cars, should work on quads also. Maybe this will help take some guess work out of it. My mech. charged me $5 well worth it. It was a head gasket.

/infamous/
05-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks again guys...ill see what i can do....im really not in the mood to swap parts from my race bike to my practice bike but if i dont figure this out today its gonna be a long night.