PDA

View Full Version : starting issue

Nosspeedca
05-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Well today i had a race and we have to do cold starts for harescrambles. I go to start it an it will not fire right away it took 20 sec. to get it to fire. The quad was warm at this time. This happened all day. If i stalled, i would sit there and it would not fire right away, sometimes for a minute it would not start. I tried no throttle or a little or a lot but nothing helped. So what can be done to fix this?

Thanks, Cameorn

hotshotgoal30
05-17-2009, 07:03 PM
thats weird man. i know ur not supposed to give it any throttle. when i let buddies ride mine they always try to give it gas when starting it and the ds does not like that.

Nosspeedca
05-17-2009, 07:10 PM
yeah it is weird... i got smoked on my holeshot because of it.

hotshotgoal30
05-17-2009, 07:13 PM
stupid question but do you turn the key on to let the fuel pump run before? i would assume so i just dont know cause i dont race

Nosspeedca
05-17-2009, 07:25 PM
yes i do.

ProspectorJim
05-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by hotshotgoal30
thats weird man. i know ur not supposed to give it any throttle. when i let buddies ride mine they always try to give it gas when starting it and the ds does not like that.

Thats one of the DS's built in anti-theft devices lol.
None of my friends can start mine either, and even when they get it started, they have a hell of a time trying to get going.

Nosspeedca
05-21-2009, 04:43 PM
any ideas?

quadworxuk
05-22-2009, 10:34 AM
What engine spec are you running?

ProspectorJim
05-22-2009, 12:56 PM
idk, make sure both spark plugs are properly connected? My dealer didn't connect both of mine when I first got it. I was having the same starting problems and overheating issues until I looked and saw one was disconnected.

Nosspeedca
05-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by quadworxuk
What engine spec are you running?

No lid. spark arrestor out. pink wire. thats all

Nosspeedca
05-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by ProspectorJim
idk, make sure both spark plugs are properly connected? My dealer didn't connect both of mine when I first got it. I was having the same starting problems and overheating issues until I looked and saw one was disconnected.

Ok i will check this out

Nosspeedca
05-22-2009, 02:32 PM
I forgot to add this. it starts better when it is cooled or off for a little. like if i stall and try to start right away no go. but if i stall and sit there for 30 secs it starts better

Blizzard24
05-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Nosspeedca
I forgot to add this. it starts better when it is cooled or off for a little. like if i stall and try to start right away no go. but if i stall and sit there for 30 secs it starts better

Try changing your sparkplugs, sounds like they may be going out on you.

These bikes are super sensitive with plugs... the FI dumps a ton of gas in them on start up.

Nosspeedca
05-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Blizzard24
Try changing your sparkplugs, sounds like they may be going out on you.

These bikes are super sensitive with plugs... the FI dumps a ton of gas in them on start up.

ok thanks i will go pick some up