PDA

View Full Version : Question for the older Wrench Monkeys here...

tri5ron
05-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Subject: Hydraulic Lifters

I've seen a "collapsed" lifter before,...
But have you ever seen a lifter stuck in the fully extended position?

Here's the scenario...

I take my boat out of a 4 month storage.
It is an old Mercruiser 4 cyl. 120 hp I/O.
Drained fuel prior to storage, ran the carb dry removed battery, etc.

Now,...
Filled w/ fresh gas, installed fully charged battery, primed carb, Hooked up water fitting, etc.

I go to start it, and it is extreemly hard to turn over. kind of like it has water in a cylinder, (but that is not the case).
I crank it a couple of more turns, Again, hard to turn over, but it does fire.

It seems to be running a bit rough, but I give it a minute to warm a little, and is begins to smooth out.
next thing I hear is a abnormal "Clattering" sound in in valve cover. It is running, but not smooth like it should, and the clattering stops.

I start pulling plug wires, and when I pull #2 wire, it does not effect the engine at all. (pulling #1, #3, #4, wires will kill the engine).

I shut it down, and pull the valve cover, to find that one of the Rocker arms for #2 cylinder has come off of the pushrod/valve, and is turned sideways.

I turn the Rocker arm back to it's proper position, to find that it has WAAYYY too much slack. (BTW, the pushrod is straight, and is NOT bent).

That's when I realize that the Stud, for the rocker arm, has been pushed up about 1/4 inch, out of the head casting, (The studs are apparently a "Pressed in fit", into the head casting).
This is what is causing the excessive slack.

I call a "Boat Guru" buddy of mine, (he used to have a Marine Repair Shop), and he says he has seen it happen on this particular engine a few times before, and that there is actually a Threaded Rocker Stud available to replace the Pressed in Stud.
O.K., That's a good thing, and I'm fine with that,..
(I'm just happy it did'nt snap the cam shaft or something worse!)

But my question is,...
Have you ever seen a Hydraulic Lifter get stuck,
in the "Fully Extended" position ?

Naturally I will replace the suspect Lifter at the same time I install the Threaded Rocker Stud,...
I may even just go ahead and replace al 8 lifters, since they are fairly easy to access.

So have any of you guys seen this happen on older (1971 era) Mercruiser in-line engines before ?
(or any OTHER engine, with Hydraulic Lifters, for that matter ???)

Inquiring Minds want to Know....

wvspeedfreak
05-17-2009, 03:53 PM
I haven't seen a hydraulic lifter stick in the fully extended position.The way a hydraulic lifter is designed,I think it would be very rare for that to happen.I have however,seen pressed fit rocker studs pull out as you are describing.Early small block Chevy's had this problem especially if a larger camshaft had been installed.
I have installed the threaded replacement rocker studs in quite a few of those.

400exrider707
05-17-2009, 04:11 PM
This is the first I've even heard of pressed fit rockers... that doesn't seem like a very logical way to mount something that sees so much constant changing forces as well as heating/cooling cycles all the time... WOW. At least there's an easy fix for it!

protraxrptr17
05-18-2009, 05:41 AM
Could it be that the valve was slightly seized in the guide from sitting for the winter and instead of opening the valve, it pulled out the stud?