PDA

View Full Version : sticking float

brian400ex
05-17-2009, 12:12 PM
my float tends to stick sometimes when i shut my 400ex off. is there an additive that i can put into the gas that will fix this problem. it stops overflowing gas when i tap on the bowl with a hammer. if not can i fix it by just taking the bowl off and cleaning it or do i have to remove the whole carb.

Thanks

chevys&honda$
05-17-2009, 12:47 PM
take the bowl off and pull the float and needle out, and blow it out with compressed air

PhilMoore
05-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by brian400ex
my float tends to stick sometimes when i shut my 400ex off. is there an additive that i can put into the gas that will fix this problem. it stops overflowing gas when i tap on the bowl with a hammer. if not can i fix it by just taking the bowl off and cleaning it or do i have to remove the whole carb.

Thanks

I don't use "additive" any more. I put that stuff in my tank, and it "knocked loose" a bunch of gunk and made it a lot worse. I had to completely disassemble the carb and clean it.

Hopefully on yours, it is just a piece of crud on the needle and you can do as chevy said an blow it out. Be careful in the carb some of those pieces are delicate, and the float is made of plastic so it is not adjustable. (don't break it)

maxamillion
05-30-2009, 07:42 PM
emery cloth works good to clean the corrosion out of the seat area.