PDA

View Full Version : Banshee problems.....help!

aldo
05-17-2009, 09:06 AM
I have a 2000 banshee, it has a few enhancements, mostly headers and I think carbs were jetted. My questions are:
1. I dont have any spark and was wondering how to bypass
all safety stuff to rule that out? What else could it be---worked last year when I put away for winter?

2. I seem to have trouble getting it to idle. If i adjust the idle up
to where it kind of idles it doesnt start very well, whats the trade off?

3.The atv will run quite well with the choke half on, and extremely well with no choke but laks picup on the bottom end.
Are my reed valves faulty, is the compression too low?
What should the compression be?

I inherited this machine from my son in law and wish to get it running to sell, its spooky fast when it runs, but its something I cant really use around here so I would like to see.

Thanks for any help

05-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Does it still have the TORS on it? They are those electronic boxes on top of the carbs. It's a Throttle Over-Rider System. When they go bad, they will cut out spark. You can unplug these to see if that's it, theres a little black box near the front of the frame under the gas tank. Follow the wires.

If there is still no spark my guess would be the stator. Stators are known for going bad.

About the idle, sounds like it may be compression or they aren't in sync with each other. Take a compression test, a fresh banshee should be around 120, give or take some. As long as it's over 100 you should be fine. Then tell me what the settings are on the carb, like the air-screw and jet sizes. I also need to know all the mods and what type of pipes. This will help me figure out if you might be too rich or lean.

Also, you said something about the bottom end. It's almost like a slight dead spot before it rev's up correct? That can either be too rich or too lean. Too rich makes it bog and too lean makes it starve for fuel for a split second.

miniquaddad90
06-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by aldo
I have a 2000 banshee, it has a few enhancements, mostly headers and I think carbs were jetted. My questions are:
1. I dont have any spark and was wondering how to bypass
all safety stuff to rule that out? What else could it be---worked last year when I put away for winter?

2. I seem to have trouble getting it to idle. If i adjust the idle up
to where it kind of idles it doesnt start very well, whats the trade off?

3.The atv will run quite well with the choke half on, and extremely well with no choke but laks picup on the bottom end.
Are my reed valves faulty, is the compression too low?
What should the compression be?

I inherited this machine from my son in law and wish to get it running to sell, its spooky fast when it runs, but its something I cant really use around here so I would like to see.

Thanks for any help

My 2 cents:

No start-get a manual & check the stator & coil

No idle- With Pipes & any air filter and/or air box mods, my may need to go up to a 27.5 or 30 pilot jet.