PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Asap - At Dunes - Clogged Jets

thedeatons
05-16-2009, 08:06 PM
I am at St. Anthony right now, and my 250R has not run for 24 hours. Actually, it recently started idling, but only until the pilot clogs.

BOTH PILOT AND MAIN ARE CLOGGING PRETTY MUCH IMMEDIATELY.

I just dumped out over 10 gallons of premix, went into town, got fresh 91 octane from Chevron, and opened a fresh bottle of Red Line 2 stroke racing oil. Mixed it 32:1. SAME PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have any idea what is going on? Why would my jets still be clogging? Here is what we have done so far:

-Dumped 4 gallon IMS tank, rinsed it out. Dried it, oured in new gas.
-Checked reeds
-Checked head & cylinder nuts
-Cleaned ALL carb circuits with spray cleaner, then used compressed air to spray out all the circuits.
-Installed new fuel line
-Installed additional fuel filter
-Installed fresh 91 Octane (Chevron) with New jug of Red Line premix oil
-Cleaned out vent hoses/circuitry
-Cleaned DGH needle
-Cleaned 58 Pilot/185 Main (also tried 190 Main)

The quad ran perfectly all day yesterday, and last month at Sand Mt. NV. It just started burbling on me last night when I pulled out of camp (after adding gas), ad hasn't run since. I have quarantined four full jugs of gas, and went into town to get fresh gas. SAME PROBLEM......

Two more days here, and I would like to ride this thing.

HELP!

(PLEASE READ THE WHOLE POST BEFORE TELLING ME TO JUST CLEAN MY JETS. WE HAVE BEEN VERY METHODICAL ALL DAY WITH THIS, AND ARE STUMPED. THE JETS JUST KEEP CLOGGING. DON'T GET TOO CAUGHT UP WITH MY SETUP, BECAUSE THE BIKE HAS BEEN RUNNING PERFECTLY UNTIL NOW WITH NO SETUP CHANGES)

IF YOU CAN HELP ASAP PLEASE CALL ME!!!

cdrookie
05-16-2009, 08:54 PM
remove the fuel filters, sometimes they break down after use, some cheap ones have been known to break down rather quickly, also is the petcock clean? does it do it on both reserve and regular petcock settings?

thedeatons
05-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Pulled the fuel filters and ran a straight tube.... As soon as the bowl fills, the main pretty much clogs...... sigh.....

Here is an excerpt from my 250r.net reply:

"The clogs aren't really debris, like sand or anything, they have that yellowish look, like varnish.

This last try it started for about 3 seconds, then quit. I didn't even touch the throttle, it started with no throttle, and idled for three seconds. The main and the pilot are clogged. So, it is like the main clogs as soon as the gas fills the bowl.

My next try is to replace the 58/190 combination with a 55/178 combination, just for kicks...

Incidentally, the quad does have a new Janssen coil on it, but it ran all day yesterday, and still has spark. Plus that wouldn't clog my jets....

I am tempted to bum 1/2 gallon of premis race gas tomorrow, just to see if that clogs them.... I am out of ideas. "

gojk
05-17-2009, 12:43 AM
I know it is a far fetched chance. But, the gas changed this week to the higher ratio of ethanol. Any chance the gas is causing corrosion.
Try buying some "race" fuel and see if the same thing happens. Also, sometimes pump gas is just junk. If you got the gas from the same station everytime, that could be the problem. I would say drain it all, as you have done, get race gas in a can from a store and mix that to see if the same problem occurs.

Honda 250r 001
05-18-2009, 07:59 AM
compressed air.

pdxbigfoot
05-19-2009, 12:31 AM
Or was it a bummer trip to St Anthoney??

cdrookie
05-19-2009, 07:32 AM
he said over at trx250r that it was electrical issues not clogged jets...

mxduner
05-21-2009, 01:21 PM
nothing like having the bowl open in the desert oasis parking lot with sand blowing in all that wind with kids riding their mini quads round ya in circles:devil:

thedeatons
05-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Just to set the record straight it turned out it was a bad aftermarket coil that kept me thinking it was junk in the carb. The coil was intermittently failing. When I put a stock Honda coil back on it ran fine all day.

beerock
05-22-2012, 11:16 AM
yea i was gonna say it sounds electrical to me

Motofool250r
05-22-2012, 01:09 PM
3 years later we found the problem wewt!