PDA

View Full Version : Ran without oil now its ticking loud!

nakomis0
05-16-2009, 06:38 PM
I was riding and all of a sudden it started to tick super loud. I shut it off and towed it back.

I checked the oil and it didn't even read on the dip stick. I don't know where the oil went but it was gone.

I filled it up with oil and its still ticking.

Any idea what I destroyed? I'm gonna go get a video right now so you guys can hear....

nakomis0
05-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Ok heres the video, it sounds like its coming from the other side of the motor (I couldn't work the throttle from that side and take video) It also sounds like it might be coming from the bottom of the motor but its really hard to tell where its coming from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AMoU17xU5Y

... I also didn't notice any smoke out the exhaust.

Johnny B
05-17-2009, 04:37 AM
i dident hear the video because my computer is a piece of junk, but if its a ticking other than a knocking, its most likely your valves. if it knocks its your piston.

nakomis0
05-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Its knocking, I'll try and pull the head off tonight. I'm thinking its a rod or crank issue.

jcs003
05-17-2009, 08:29 AM
with no oil it could be rod bearings. cam and valves or partially seized piston.

chevys&honda$
05-17-2009, 12:52 PM
def sounds bad, i would pull it apart before you hurt it more:(

nakomis0
05-17-2009, 01:30 PM
We went out today and I thought I was gonna maybe take it a part, or not ride it.... Well I beat the hell out of it and it ran great, except for sounding like a ticking time bomb. (2hrs riding)

I hope to get it opened up tonight/tomarrow and see a problem. I guess I'm looking at how the valves seat, timing chain & tensioner, piston, rings & cylinder, and play in the rod.

If you have any tips on what to look for or how to test something let me know.

I'm also curious about the oil pump, I'm thinking it maybe quit pumping, cause it was empty I filled it and now its overfilled.

balls2da-wall
05-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Check to see if your head gasket is leaking....reason i said this is because you have a 440 but dont list oversized head studs. I had my head studs pull out when i had my 440 and it sounds like yours does.

nakomis0
05-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Found the problem... It was the timing chain tensioner. Come to think of it I think I broke one of these before... I don't remember it sounding this loud. I'm happy as h@ll thats the problem, simple fix.

So I have ran this 440 8yrs and the only motor problem has been 2 bad timing chain tensioners. (knock on wood)

Thanks for the help guys I really though it was something terrible. Still don't know about the oil, maybe it was just low, and/or I can't read a dipstick. :ermm: I know one thing I was way way due for an oil change.

oilguy
05-18-2009, 07:30 PM
no question you entire engine is toast.

engine rebuild time

coryatver
05-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by oilguy
no question you entire engine is toast.

engine rebuild time

maybe not.

You could have got lucky and the timing tensioner going bad let you know you were running low on oil. Even if there wasn't oil in the resivior tank there had to have still been some down in the engine or else it would just lock up solid. Check it before every ride!!!!!

nakomis0
05-19-2009, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
maybe not.

You could have got lucky and the timing tensioner going bad let you know you were running low on oil. Even if there wasn't oil in the resivior tank there had to have still been some down in the engine or else it would just lock up solid. Check it before every ride!!!!!

I think this was the case. A blessing in disguise.