PDA

View Full Version : Oil change/metal chunk change

mebcop
05-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Well, went to do a quick oil change (second one) today on my DS's. I pulled the case plug and as I'm pulling it away I see things sticking off the top of the plug. I clean it up and find 3 tic-tac size metal chunks..... GRRRRR So Immediately I'm thinking Clutch Basket/plates, or Bolts backed out of the flywheel... I have an appointment next monday to get the recalls and the 09 clutch basket/plates put in it...

I figure, well might as well pull the clutch cover off. My father-in-law and I pull the clutch cover off and the basket looks fine. Pull it apart and the plates all look perfect (should with only about 8 rides on it). Well, while trying to pull the clutch basket off of the shaft, it didn't wanna come so my FIL started tapping it with a plastic hammer..... SNAP goes a finger on the basket GRRRRRRRRRR number 2.

Well, since that all checked out I figured lets look at the flywheel side. Took the cover off and the bolts all look great and nothing appears to be out of place and no more chunks found.....

Guess it's time to tear the motor out and take it all apart.... Been out of warranty for about 6 months now......

My brother in law is a small engine mechanic and his guess is that it's a bolt that's been "chewed up a little".

Start making some guesses and we'll find out who the smartest guy here is... hahaha

jlrenken
05-16-2009, 08:30 PM
tranny

ml450r
05-16-2009, 08:56 PM
metal is probably from a gear in the transmission