PDA

View Full Version : steering stem problem

asalerno0703
05-16-2009, 03:39 PM
i noticed that something was wrong with my steering stem. when i pull up on the bars the whole thing moves up and down. not a lot, but like a quarter inch of play. so i bought a houser +2 steering stem and when i installed it, it did the same thing. is this normal? if not does anyone know what it could be??

puTTs
05-16-2009, 03:47 PM
I don't think it should be doing that. Is it just the stem itself that moves? or are the bushings moving with it?

smokindw
05-16-2009, 04:04 PM
pull the new stem out and see if the stem bearings are bad or anythang else in the stem housing, just look around 2 see if anything is moving that shouldnt be, make sure the lock nut at the bottom of the stem is tight

smokindw
05-16-2009, 04:11 PM
her this might help u to figure out how to check the bearings out!!
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=360367

asalerno0703
05-16-2009, 05:40 PM
thanks a lot for those responces. just to let you all know, the entire stem moves, but i can not tell if anything else is moving. i did notice that when i had the stem out, i was able to move the bearing up and down a little bit. do you think that could cause it to move the whole stem up and down?

and one more thing, that link to see how to get a bearing out was very helpful, but do you think i will need to bring it to a shop, or am i cabable of doing it? (i dont have that many tools)

smokindw
05-16-2009, 06:04 PM
i just replaced my houser stem for another houser stem(i rolled my wheeler and bent my stem) anyways when i put the new stem in i replaced the bearings the upper n lower dust seals and the snap ring. the hardest part was putting the new snap ring in cuz i didnt have the snap ring pliers i used just regular needle nose pliers. but as far as i know thw the bearings shouldnt move, at least my didnt. the bearings must be wore out or the snap ring might be gone but i think that the bearings is ur prob. go 2 servicehonda.com and get urself all new bearings and dust seals u should be able 2 reuse the snapring if its in good shape!! here is a link 2 (http://www.xtremeusa.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=521394&category=ATVs&make=Honda&year=2006&fveh=12018) i think that it was a preety easy project if u follow the link that i posted earlier on how 2 remove the bearings!! just take ur time and remember to grease the bearings and dust seals while putting new ones in!!

asalerno0703
05-16-2009, 06:52 PM
you know what the guy i bought it from took the stem out so he could paint it. i wonder if he forgot to put the snap ring back in. that ring is there for that reason right? to make sure the bearing doesnt move?

smokindw
05-16-2009, 06:57 PM
yeah the snap ring pretty much makes sure that the bearings sit where there suppose 2 and not let the bearings move, take the stem off n remove the upper dust seal and see if u can see it in there.