PDA

View Full Version : Gear Up?

BEAVER.989
05-16-2009, 08:13 AM
I'm thinking about gearing up higher than stock. Although I'm only riding trails ans most people seem to be gearing down, it feels like I'm spending too much time shifting and also feels like my 400 is begging for another gear up top.

On tighter trails, I'm caught between second and third and more open trails, I'm between third and fourth. My thought is that 15/39 gearing may enable me to hold second in the tighter stuff and third in the areas where it's a little more open.

Does this sound right?

puTTs
05-16-2009, 03:43 PM
It would be about a 7% drop in RPMs in all gears. It sounds like it will work good for you if that is your normal riding conditions. A big pro of going down to a 13 tooth sprocket is 1st gear becomes very low, works very nice for technical trails where you are going very slow. And a bit easier on your clutch taking off, and harder to stall.

BEAVER.989
05-16-2009, 04:20 PM
I think I'm gonna give it a shot. I won't be out much if I don't like it, I guess.

The only time I ever find myself in 1st gear is when I'm trying to stay dry going through a water crossing or mud hole. Other than that, I'm in at least 2nd for any type of trail situation.

My other concern is that it seems to rev awfully high when winding out 5th gear, but everything I read tells me that I have nothing to worry about... that there's not enough power on tap to get anywhere near the rev limiter. I'm assuming this is true, but like I said, it seems to rev quite high...

puTTs
05-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Sounds like a plan. Does your bike have the stock 9100rpm rev limiter? Did You change your CDI? If not, you have nothing to worry about, rev away. :)

BEAVER.989
05-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Bone stock now, with an HMF slip on, Sparks filter and a set of jets getting ready to go in...

honda400ex2003
05-16-2009, 07:41 PM
you will like 15, 38 for the trails. i would do it. if not switch it back. you will still have the 14 anyway. steve

Snipe
05-16-2009, 09:00 PM
I had that EXACT same problem I did a 15up and love it dont know why I didnt sooner.