PDA

View Full Version : 300EX Top End Questions

Ghost-Rider
05-15-2009, 06:41 PM
So, I have a 300EX, and the things have tons of torque, but I'm at the top of 5th in no time, it needs a higher top speed, what can I do or have you guys done to gain more top speed ? what kind of gains could be expected ?

As of now it has a full fmf exhaust, uni foam air filter, works shocks, nerf bars.

Not a whole lot.

JohnT_98300EX
05-15-2009, 07:19 PM
The next thing I did was to "relieve" the air box and jet the old girl. I bored 6, 1 inch holes in the lid and installed Uni filter vents., and a 128 (kehein) main jet. Could probably go to a 130 in my case, you need to play with it.
Then play with gearing, go to a 14 tooth front sprocket, then depending on rear tires size a 37 tooth rear maybe. With 20 inch rears I run 14 x 37 and with 22 inch rears I run 14x38 for torque, 14x 37 for cruise.
Believe it or not, an oil cooler. Heat robs horse power

After that, start to bring money. The old saying is, "horse power costs money, how fast do you want to go?" Bore, cam, head work, stroke, and proper tuning. How fast do you want to be? Even 5 more miles an hour will cost time and money.

Ghost-Rider
05-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Not sure what I want to do, From the little I've read, these chassis aren't ideal for motor swaps as they are kind of tippy along with a couple other things.

How noticeable is the gain from a bore job along with cam ect ?

I've got some money, I've been saving all my cash at work, and if my parents pay for my college ( not planning to go anywhere expensive) then I could continue saving. If I went that route, I wouldn't mind dropping a couple grand into it. I figure make it a little wider, maybe slightly longer and it would hand a whole lot better eh ?