PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Maintenance Routines

tyler70t
05-15-2009, 02:32 PM
I am still pretty new to these minis so I want to hear some maintenance routines for the clutch and variator. I have been taking the cover off, pulling the variator all the way off and cleaning it all up and just making sure the pulley and variator plates aren't glazed over but I know there is more to it....... Also what are you guys using to clean the pulley and variator with? How about these rollers, you clean them too? Are you greasing the shafts and oiling the sleeves?..................... Let's hear it

LT80
05-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Yes, you clean the rollers. Might as well be cleaned as your rotating the roller in your fingers to check for flat spots eh. :)
I use a coarse grit (40-60) sandpaper and in lil circular motions, break the glaze on the front clutch faces and the rear clutch pads.
I use Autozone carb cleaner.
I also check the bearings on the rear clutch.
I use no grease/oil to lube the front clutch bushing.
I use a minimal amount of grease to hold the rollers in place during istallation of the LT80 clutchs but it's not for lubrication. I don't use any grease on the rollers for your type of clutchs.:)

tyler70t
05-15-2009, 02:47 PM
You clean the rollers with carb cleaner?

dericsdad
05-15-2009, 07:20 PM
I would just use brake cleaner for the rollers. Some carb cleaners might melt the plastic on the rollers.

tyler70t
05-15-2009, 07:21 PM
brake cleaner on the sheaves as well, how about where the rollers roll?

LT80
05-16-2009, 06:28 AM
""I am still pretty new to these minis so I want to hear some maintenance routines for the clutch and variator.""
If you know the absolutes on whats used, why ya ask? :eek2:

Carb cleaner has worked for me for 15 years now.
But I could be wrong..LMAO

"how about where the rollers roll?"
oh yea,, clean the roller tracts with carb cleaner too.

LMAO :devil:

tyler70t
05-16-2009, 07:58 AM
I am new that is why I am asking, just want to be sure of what to do, thanks a lot for the help LT80.....Jeff

tyler70t
05-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Anyone else have any more tips?