PDA

View Full Version : how are they?

woodsracer144
05-15-2009, 12:12 PM
hey i found a good deal on a mojave... how are they? he says it needs finishing but i dont know how much it needs... its go nerfs and razrs all the way around with douglas rims as well...
the chassis and a-arms are blue he doesnt know what year it is.... when did they start to make them?

it looks like the tecate style green.. and blue.
thanks

also where is a good sport to get aftermarkets for it?

greenblood01
05-17-2009, 02:29 PM
They're great quads. I had one for 4 years. I eventually did the CWR 330 kit and a ton of other performance mods, I would've kept if if I hadn't gotten into motocross.

They began making them in 87 and stopped in 04. The only differences besides the colors between the years was the 87-89 did not have heel guards and some of the earlier models had kicker gear problems.

If it originally came green then it would be a 200-2004 model. 2000-2002 had green frames and 2003 and 2004 had gray frames. So I would say this is a newer one and someone has painted the frame or put newer or Maier plastic on an older one.

BEAVER.989
07-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Any other problem areas to look for? There's one down the road from me that I think could be scored cheap, since it's pretty rough looking.

I'm just looking at picking up something cheap to borrow out to my friends without quads when I can't find anyone to ride with.

greenblood01
07-15-2009, 12:36 PM
They are pretty reliable quads. Their biggest downfall is kick start. With some cash, a Mojave can be made into a force to be reckoned with. I used to dominate 450s in flat track on my CWR 330 Mojave.

450rKid13
08-26-2009, 10:19 AM
yeah, definitely good bikes...just be careful with the older models like greenblood01 said. the kick gears like to go bad, and so does 2nd gear/reverse. Both of those happened to mine and i had to do an entire tranny rebuild.

It's not an engineering fault really, it's just common that if you ever have a chain jump the sprocket, it could bust a hole in the reverse cover on the left side of the case. and when that happens, dirt, mud and water can get in there and rust everything all to hell. Once its rusted bad enough, if you ever go into reverse, the spring may not return the lever inside the case to its original position. When it gets stuck open, there's nothing to keep it from shifting into reverse, so if you go to shift into first and you go too far...boom, you're in reverse and there goes some teeth off your gears... just be careful with 'em. check that the reverse lever springs back quickly so you know that the spring inside is still working.

Mojave's can be real fun bikes. good luck finding one.