PDA

View Full Version : My project 300

jah8551
05-15-2009, 11:24 AM
http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss219/jah8551/IMAG0013.jpg

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss219/jah8551/IMAG0012.jpg

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss219/jah8551/IMAG0014.jpg

Very dirty and very beat plastics, I put the nerfs and grab bar on last year. I made the grab bar from a six-pack rack that came with it. Its not bent, just broke one of the mounting bolts so I just have to get new bolt. In the pic I got my 400 arms on with stock shocks, I'm making a relocator this weekend so i can mount my 400 shocks.

I don't have a pic of it yet but I put a 400 swingarm and axle on, you can see it in the background tho, i'm welding the tabs for the linkage this weekend also. I am using the 400 rear shock with the ressi attached to it as well. I already have it mounted. I had to do a little modification to the frame to get it to fit but it fit fine otherwise. New tires are coming soon, not sure what im gonna go with yet, but the ones on it are old and cracked.

I need new plastics, but i am trying to be cheap. I dont want to spend 600 on maier customs, and also dont like stock 300 plastics. I might fab something up to fit some from a different quad.

Let me know what ya think.

Tommy Warren
05-15-2009, 11:32 AM
plastics needed!!!

jah8551
05-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
plastics needed!!!

haha yea, the rears are just as bad too. I want to do different plastics, I dont like stock 300 plastics or want 400 plastics and also dont have the money to buy the maier customs. So ill prolly end up going with something different and fabbing them up to fit.

jah8551
05-15-2009, 11:54 AM
I'll get some pictures of the rear end setup when i get the linkage tabs welded up in the next couple days. also, what does everyone else do for the headlight. I hate the looks of it. I would take it off but i need one because i ride at night sometimes.

dirtdawg
05-15-2009, 05:30 PM
go to walmart and get a couple halogen lights, they come together in a kit. they have the mounts so that the bolts go under the light housing and down. you mount them in the holes that are what the old headlight used to sit in. i'll get a pic for you real soon. but, you need to get smaller bulbs. they come with 50 watts in ech one, but i got 25 in each and it works perfect. they are way brighter and they still turn with the handlebars. they aren't big either, so they aren't an eyesore. they are not on the walmart website but it cost me 25 bucks including the heat shrink to splice and solder the new wires in. i'll help you out once you get the kit. the kit comes with wires, a switch and everything you would need, but you wire the lights into the old switch. you eliminate the low beams with halogens, but who cares? good luck with the build...and don't buy a cobra exhaust even if you think you should because its cheap. oh, and please get rid of that handlebar plastic and rope on the bumper! its ugly, man!

jah8551
05-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by dirtdawg
go to walmart and get a couple halogen lights, they come together in a kit. they have the mounts so that the bolts go under the light housing and down. you mount them in the holes that are what the old headlight used to sit in. i'll get a pic for you real soon. but, you need to get smaller bulbs. they come with 50 watts in ech one, but i got 25 in each and it works perfect. they are way brighter and they still turn with the handlebars. they aren't big either, so they aren't an eyesore. they are not on the walmart website but it cost me 25 bucks including the heat shrink to splice and solder the new wires in. i'll help you out once you get the kit. the kit comes with wires, a switch and everything you would need, but you wire the lights into the old switch. you eliminate the low beams with halogens, but who cares? good luck with the build...and don't buy a cobra exhaust even if you think you should because its cheap. oh, and please get rid of that handlebar plastic and rope on the bumper! its ugly, man!

Oh that sounds like a good idea, i would like to see those pics. I do plan on taking that handlebar plastic off. I'm gonna keep the exhaust thats on there now.. Its a full fmf pipe and muffler, just covered in dirt in the pic so it looks like crap right now. And the rope is only there cause i didnt take it off after i towed it back when my rear sprocket broke and i had to have it towed 15 miles back.

Ghost-Rider
05-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by dirtdawg

Good post man, I've been trying to figure a way to ditch the ugly handle bar plastic and single headlight for a while.

jah8551
05-18-2009, 11:50 PM
http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss219/jah8551/IMAG0017.jpg
frame made to fit 400 shock, the shock is sitting crooked cause the bolt hole for the shock is smaller than the mount holes, so i have to get some sleeves for the bolt to fit right

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss219/jah8551/IMAG0018.jpg

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss219/jah8551/IMAG0019.jpg
tabs tacked in place, wanted to see how it would sit first

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss219/jah8551/IMAG0020.jpg
side view, I ditched the handlebar plastic, definitely looks better without it. I didn't do the headlight yet, but will be doing that soon

Ok, also, I have a question about how the linkage is supposed to sit. Is it the right angle where it sits now, It is angled up a little but but almost horizontal. The shock seems pretty stiff the way it is. I adjusted the shock but it didn't seem to help much. anyone have any pictures of where their linkage sits?
I cant wait to get this thing cleaned up, Im tempted to paint the frame, but I dont want it to peel so Ill probably leave it silver.

Imbroke
05-25-2009, 01:30 PM
i bought ones at walmart i think they look pretty good and they are extremely bright

jah8551
05-25-2009, 03:04 PM
nice, is one set for low and both on for high beam or is that not possible?

Imbroke
05-25-2009, 04:21 PM
it is possible but not easy my dad is an electrition so he helped me do it but when the low beams are on only one shines and when the high beams are on both of them are on. it takes some experimenting to get it but i use diodes and the stock headlight wiring harness

QuadCobbler
05-27-2009, 11:08 AM
I will see if my pics of my linkage will will fit on a posting if not I will e-mail them to you. That 400 shock looks prety good in there, I used a 250r atc shock in my with the remote rezi. The 250r atv shock has a longer hose so it's not as easy to come by as an atc shock. I had to make a bushing for my uper mount too. the holes aren't the same size. I have cut and rewelded my linkage about 4 times to get the ride height right and the shock soft enough. it is now mount about 4 to 5" from the frame mount. I used part of the 250 link and 1" x 1" square tubing. I think the 400ex linkage puts the end of the shock too close to the linkage's enge point making the shock wayt too stiff. I kept moving mine forward making it softer. I would PM "SET THE STAGE" and ask him about his linkage he did the same thing with a 300ex but I dont think he had to modify his linkage.

QuadCobbler
05-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Oh ya I almost forgot, I used a 55 watt square fog light for my head light and mounted be hind my front bumper. It works realy well and no one even notices it until I turn it on. It works better with an open front bumper like DG, the bling start makes a big star on the ground and blocks some of the light but it stiull works good.

Imbroke
05-27-2009, 01:08 PM
quadcobbler i love how you cut your plastics that is one of the best ways ive seen every one else who cuts theres there is almost nothing left it looks great i would do it to mine but im going to sell it soon and im afraid it would make the value go down

jah8551
05-28-2009, 01:50 AM
I like the way those plastics are cut too, i hate when they are cut straight and almost all the way off.

I'm most likely gonna have to change the way my linkage is setup because it is definitely too stiff. If you wanna email the pics to me my email is jah8551@yahoo.com

QuadCobbler
05-29-2009, 05:39 AM
Ya I like how the plastics turned out too,thanks. It took me about 2 months of talking my self into it until I could cut off my fenders. After I did it I though damb I shoud have done this a long time ago. Some thing else I was going to mention about you 400ex swing I see you have not put on you chain yet in the pics. How did you align you front and rear sprokets? Mine were off by about 1/4" so I used another rear sproket as a spacer to move the back over. Oh ya and some thing else you could try. Try extending the linkage bracket on your frame to push the linkage back further towards your axle. That might be why it is so stiff. If I had about 5 hours I could explain about 3 months of trial and error to you. But If I had to guess I would try moving the frame tab.

jah8551
05-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Yea i was thinkin i would try extending the brackets to see if that would help. I did put the chain on, and it lines up straight without a spacer. I actually had a spacer made up first and when I went to put the chain on I found that it lines up without it. weird. Ill be getting some new pics of my progress pretty soon. I finally got it all cleaned up and other than the plastics it looks very good. I still have to get a longer brake line for the rear.. Im going to take off the parking brake. It doesnt work and it's pointless for me. I never use them anyway.