PDA

View Full Version : Need Help on Exhuasts

rhandw69
01-03-2003, 01:20 AM
I need a few question answered if anyone knows them. Im wondering how loud the Curtis Sparks Pipe is compared to the WB. Im trying to get a feel of which pipes are or are not louder than my WB that I have now. I of course want good power gains, but i dont want to wake the country while doing it. I know alot on this board has choosen to purchase the Curtis Sparks, which I too was leaning towards, but Im also leaning towards the yohsimura full race titanium, the CT sonic, and Possibly LRD. For me the biggest thing i want to do is compliment a new 39MMFCR, and get away from the Disk style pipes. I just need something that is not overly loud. Has anyone heard the sounds of any of these pipes.

01-03-2003, 06:16 AM
I cant think of a free flowing open style exhaust that wouldnt be LOUD or REAL LOUD.

The disc type silencers seem to be best compromise between good flow and scavenge (HP) and noise levels (problems).

Plus the disc types are forestry approved spark arrestors no matter how many discs you run.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-03-2003, 08:33 AM
I have to agree with 440 any pipe that is made to bring more power out is going to be louder. I run the sparks X6 on my 440 and it is great, But it is louder than the white brothers pipe that is on one of my customers 400's. One other thing that you must take into consideration is that the more motor work you do the louder your exhaust will be( because you are moving more air). So it is hard for me to compare sound levels because my bike is somewhat built and his is almost stock. I do like the disc style spark arrestors though because they are tunable for sound and power output. The LRD, CT, and Sparks pipes are all just about the same in design. and all perform very well.

RIDER11X
01-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by CDracing
I have to agree with 440 any pipe that is made to bring more power out is going to be louder. I run the sparks X6 on my 440 and it is great, But it is louder than the white brothers pipe that is on one of my customers 400's. One other thing that you must take into consideration is that the more motor work you do the louder your exhaust will be( because you are moving more air). So it is hard for me to compare sound levels because my bike is somewhat built and his is almost stock. I do like the disc style spark arrestors though because they are tunable for sound and power output. The LRD, CT, and Sparks pipes are all just about the same in design. and all perform very well.
Absolutly true, this is the case with a friend's Raptor(I KNOW, I'm trying to convert him) as it has an Alba pipe with 5 disks on it an it is still loud. lots of air movin through that 660 motor.

stupid driver
01-03-2003, 03:24 PM
advice::: whoever rides behind you on the trail when you got an X-6 on better wear ear plugs. its loud, BUT I LOVE IT. sounds kinda like a suped up tractor :huh

lilpoppy
01-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Ya the x-6 is very loud but i have heard some WB pipes that have come close. In my oppinion it is worth dealing with the noise levels for how much power the x-6 gives you. I also just e-mailed sparks and they said that they will have an adaptor in 3 or so months that should bring the noise level down hopefully to 96db or less.

frogburner
01-03-2003, 09:24 PM
Well I have DMC's and they are very loud,, in the woods truely too,, but LOTS more throttle response and acceleration... The last pipe I had was a MegaMaxII slip on,,, It was loud but not NEAR as loud as the DMC's... Its really hard to tell what DB levels you will be hearing,,, Usually the more free flowwing exhaust is more mid-top end acceleration power,,, and pipes with like discs or lots of baffles,, usually low-mid range power....

01-03-2003, 10:11 PM
Usually the more free flowwing exhaust is more mid-top end acceleration power,,, and pipes with like discs or lots of baffles,, usually low-mid range power....

I think most will agree with this to some degree, but what confuses me is that if the quiter pipe gives you better power and response in the low to mid range (which is much better for trail type riding or racing) why do so many people use the overly loud and annoying exhausts.

Would seem so much better to be both faster and quiter in the woods where you could be upsetting the neighbors.

Just a thought :rolleyes:

duneittilludie
01-03-2003, 10:35 PM
RHANDW69-my wifes quad is a 440 with a rev box -cam -fmf q muffler and power bomb header and i can tell you that if you are willing to spend the money to get the header and muffler combination you will be happy with the performance.we have had a sound check done by the rangers on the oregon dunes where we ride and the system came in at 93 -DB which is very quiet.keeping our quads as quiet as possible while still retaining a performance gain is the way to go with todays enviromentally sensitive public.:cool:

rhandw69
01-03-2003, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the replys, I tell you this is killing me, I have the money on my desk here, and my wifes telling me to hurry up and get this back running. Im just not sure whats best to spend. Im primarily a dune rider. ive never been checked in the Oregon Dunes, but Im sure my time is coming. Plus i have kids that ride with me, so keeping theyre ears intact is important. I just read that LRD has a Spark Arrestor. THat may quiet it down some. Ive never seen the New FMF pipe that you are talking about. Many of these pipe companies are manufacturing pipes for alot of the racers, and sometimes i think that us recreational power hungry guys get left out. Im sure the Sparks give the best power, but the risk of being checked for sound or spark arrestors is a concern. I know the DMCs are very very loud. But very good. I have them on my wifes Banshee, and they are top notch. Now heres my dilema with LRD. It seems that every LRD pipe I see either on bikes in the dunes, or for sell on Ebay, they sure seem to be pretty rusted. Im wondering just how long they will last!?!??!! Its too bad yoshimura wasnt a tad bit cheaper!!
Thanks for the replys

TORO1968
01-03-2003, 11:39 PM
I'm pretty sure you can get the Sparks X-4 and X-6 exhausts with spark arrestors...

Check them out at Sparks Racing (http://www.sparksracing.com)

-Later

Jordan

RIDER11X
01-04-2003, 12:27 AM
What ever you decide to buy, make sure a quiet core is available for it as these sound laws may get very strct in the near future. At least you will have the option to make the pipe quieter rather than having to get rid of it, if things get tough. just my 2cents.

Steve-o 400EX
01-04-2003, 07:50 AM
Get a yoshi, they sell inserts for the endcap that will make it quieter. If ur lookin for less sound, go with that.

lilpoppy
01-04-2003, 10:45 AM
yes Sparks does sell spark arrestors but they cost 100$ if you buy it seaparate.

01-04-2003, 11:17 PM
duneittilludie- I remember reading that the quite sys was barely above the stocker on the dyno. I would think it would be choking your 440 unless there are other problems with the motor that will make it feel like its getting more bottom end etc. not sure but a thought.

I'm pretty sure you can get the Sparks X-4 and X-6 exhausts with spark arrestors... I am thinking that the screen type spark arrestors wouldnt reduce the noise levels much but still would be a good idea if you are in the woods a lot etc.

Some of the engine builders pipes I have seen use a modified supertrapp 4" disc silencer which you can allways reduce the amount of discs for less noise, but you may need to rejet down also.

Another member I know was trying to find a silencer that would let his new motor work breathe better for more power without it being overyly loud. He was gettin real stressed cause there just didnt seem to be such a pipe. He ended up with a Yosi w/ the diff size outlet adapters but it only runs right with the largest std one. The smaller ones were either close to the stk silencer or more restrictive but both made more noise to the naked ear. Maybe he will chime in on this one.

I guess that what I have been thinking may not be all that off. I was looking at the graydon silencer (very close to the lrd by eye) to run on the stk header and keeping the FMF magamax with like 8-10 discs if I ever was to ride where sound was measured etc.

rhandw69
01-05-2003, 12:37 AM
WHen you look at the CT, the Graydon, LRD, and Even Sparks,,they all resemble the same reverse cone look. Now the CT is somewhat confusing: If you all remember back in 2001 when they had that exhaust shoot out with a bunch of pipes, the CT was a supertrap looking thing with discs. Now when you go on theyre website, they have a very nice looking pipe that resembles all thee above. It looks very very nice. But I wish I could get some input from someone who has seen theyre performance and or sound.

rhandw69
01-05-2003, 04:13 PM
CT has a nice looking pipe!

GT300
01-06-2003, 03:21 PM
Maybe you should just get the yosh comp system. It is a lot cheaper than the titanium one that you were looking at. The only difference between the comp and titanium is the weight.

Dune Surfer
01-06-2003, 04:59 PM
Forget CT, Their products are ok but thier customer service really sucks. Why spend your $$$ at a place that doesn't take care of thier customers.

DaveEX7
01-06-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Steve-o 400EX
Get a yoshi, they sell inserts for the endcap that will make it quieter. If ur lookin for less sound, go with that.

if he gets the comp system.... lord help him tryin to quiet that thing down

that yoshi is soooooooo loud... i pitty the fool that haveta ride behind you... if u ever heard a Rotax on a ds-650, imagin that 3 times what it is!!

rhandw69
01-06-2003, 11:11 PM
I called CT today, and yes, I was pretty surprised at theyre customer service. I remember back in 2001 when they did that exhaust shoot out the pipe was a disc design like the megamax or supertrap. But when you look at theyre web site and the picture of the bike thats in this post shows up, i asked what pipe that was. The lady told me she didnt know if it was the mid range or the full race, and didnt know what any of theyre pipes looked like. Im slowly leaning toward the LRD or Hetrick.

RIDER11X
01-06-2003, 11:23 PM
What about HMF? Any good?:huh

01-07-2003, 02:59 AM
The lady told me she didnt know if it was the mid range or the full race, and didnt know what any of theyre pipes looked like. Im slowly leaning toward the LRD or Hetrick. I have not called them in over a year but the few times I did call I had spoke with Allen Knowles and he was very easy to talk with, very knowledgeable and eager to answer any questions, and I guess he is the owner also but it appears what you say he may need to be on top of things a little better. Shame cause they seemed like a good outfit.