PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys really think of your 440 ?

rigger
05-14-2009, 06:02 PM
I am in the market for an atv for my wife and have run across a rather nice 400EX that is built up as a 440. It looks pretty good in pictures but I have not seen it in person.

Both my wife and I have spent plenty of time on very lightly opened up 400EX's and she could handle it with no problems at all.

I have heard good and bad about a 440 kitted EX. I have heard some say it is great and I have heard others say stay away. It will not run very long.

So I thought I would ask those of you that have 440's what you really think of it.

brian76708
05-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by rigger
I am in the market for an atv for my wife and have run across a rather nice 400EX that is built up as a 440. It looks pretty good in pictures but I have not seen it in person.

Both my wife and I have spent plenty of time on very lightly opened up 400EX's and she could handle it with no problems at all.

I have heard good and bad about a 440 kitted EX. I have heard some say it is great and I have heard others say stay away. It will not run very long.

So I thought I would ask those of you that have 440's what you really think of it.

personally i would not buy a built 440 unless i knew the guy or he had recites from a respectable builder. If you do look at it ask him what Compression ratio he is running and if he installed HD studs.

smokindw
05-14-2009, 07:07 PM
i dont know mine has been done 4 bout a year n 1/2 now and no probs 2 date but if u do buy the 440 a stage 2 hotcams , the 450r card, the spal fan and hd studs r a must!! i am on a 12.5-1 compression and have not installed the hd studs but in fact im gona order them from GT thunder 2night just 2 be safe, i shoudve put them in when i had the bore kit done but wasnt thinkin bout it at the time!! anything over11-1 i pretty shure u gotta run vp racing fuel, im runnig 75% 110octane and 25% 93 pump gas in mine. The racing fuel is 8.55 a gallon where i live so it adds up pretty fast. I added the stage 2 bout 4 months ago and wow what a difference and then i put the 450r carb on last month and it is just crazy how fast and snappy my 440 is now, i still havent gotten the carb to my likings yet but i guess what im saying is that i have been very pleased with my 440. But i would look at the top end and make sure there aint and leaks or any probs wit the quad before u buy!!

gcart2
05-14-2009, 07:14 PM
the problem is you are buying someone elses race bike. the motor is bored out and who knows what else. if it is you and your wife trail and pasture riding i would suggest picking up a stock bike. Therefore you know what your getting.

400ex's are great but lets face it, they are air cooled and dont need to be bored out. A million people will tell me i am wrong but thats just the way it is.

Buy yourself a stock or mildly built bike and build it up your self. It may cost a little more but in the long run you will be glad you did.

,Sam

Ruby Soho
05-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
the problem is you are buying someone elses race bike. the motor is bored out and who knows what else. if it is you and your wife trail and pasture riding i would suggest picking up a stock bike. Therefore you know what your getting.

400ex's are great but lets face it, they are air cooled and dont need to be bored out. A million people will tell me i am wrong but thats just the way it is.

Buy yourself a stock or mildly built bike and build it up your self. It may cost a little more but in the long run you will be glad you did.

,Sam

the fact that they're air cooled isn't why they shouldn't be bored.

rigger
05-14-2009, 08:04 PM
I would rather have a stock motor myself for her to ride but this looked like a pretty good quad in the pictures. But you know how good pictures can make a machine look.

Thanks for your input guys.

Wheelie
05-14-2009, 08:35 PM
I love my 440 stroker. 3 years on it and no problems to date. It's priceless how often I get comments on how hard it runs, especially when 450's can't pull away.:D

gcart2
05-15-2009, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
the fact that they're air cooled isn't why they shouldn't be bored.

you are correct, i was just mentioning one simple reason.

sc400ex_rider
05-15-2009, 07:14 PM
If its built well it could last a long time but if not it might nickel and dime ya.......

rigger
05-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Talked to the guy on the phone. He bought it like it is from a Honda dealer and says he has the paperwork for the motor.

He said it had a Duncan Racing Stage 2 Kit in it but from what he described, it sounded more like a National Kit to me with maybe a few more things as well.

I guess I may stay away from it but he said he would take 1700 for it so it is still in the back of my mind. It looks like it needs tires and I am sure a few other things as well.

What do you guys think. Stay away or consider it ?

dariusld
05-15-2009, 08:14 PM
I would stay away. People who have 440's ride hard, people who have stock bikes don't usually ride as hard

honda400ex2003
05-15-2009, 08:28 PM
I think the duncan stage 2 is a national kit or at least it used to be. I would like to see how a 440 runs when built up right. I would do a stage 2 hotcam, hd cam chain, 11:1, hd head studs and a nice port and polish. I would also put a nice full exhaust on it and see how it runs. if i did not like it i would make it a stoker, but i am sure it would run really nicely. I would put in a JE if they make one. If you buy one check to make sure it does not burn oil, and idles good. If you can take it for a ride make sure the clutch is not slipping, make sure you give it a good acceleration and see if it is burning oil from the valve seals. If you dont put scoops on it at least i would worry about it getting a bit hot but if it is jetted right it should not be bad. just a few things to think about. steve

Snipe
05-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Well not always, could just be someone with deep pockets and to many toys.

but its true for the most part a 440 kit is usually on a bike that is MX or drag

could be running pretty hard I honestly wouldnt buy it or have a bored bike unless it was me who had it done. I would go and ride it ride it for a good hour and check it all out. Even take it to a local shop to have them check it out if you can be if all that cleared then yeah its prob worth it.

dobber21
05-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
I would stay away. People who have 440's ride hard, people who have stock bikes don't usually ride as hard

i would have to disagree i have a stock motor 400 and i ride hard i keep up to and beat 450s on the track, my buddy has a 440 and he doesnt ride nearly as hard just cuz a motor is built doesnt mean anything about their riding style

rigger
05-16-2009, 06:32 AM
Well thanks for your thoughts guys. But I think I am going to pass on this one for now. I would rather find a milder motor for my wife to ride and if I wanted a bigger motor, I would rather build it myself so I know what is really in it.

Thanks again.

RIDEREDson
05-17-2009, 01:29 AM
I thought about sending my motor off for work. I've heard about FourStrokeTech, GTthunder and Duncan doing good work. Anyone recommend anyone else? And whats your opinion on stroking it or not?

sc400ex_rider
05-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Powroll can stroke your crank for $500 plus they use a proper short rod so you can use any piston. unlike hot rods where you have to use only there piston with a relocated piston pin.

Johnny Minehan
05-17-2009, 10:43 AM
I miss mine, Hetrick built my motor and it was great.:)

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1903/29/5/1504273164/n1504273164_30124555_3353.jpg

Punkmaster Flex
05-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by dariusld

I'd rather built quad off someone that I know than buying a stock quad that 'Was only used by the wife' to be honest.

Race quads ride hard but are usually very well maintained. Can't say the same about a stock quad that the guy who knows **** all about quads and never change his oil but didnt ride it hard. ;)