PDA

View Full Version : Snowmobile motor install

quad97
05-14-2009, 10:35 AM
We're working on trying to put a snowmobile motor in a banshee chassis for drag racing and hill shooting at the dunes. Have any of you guys done this? What motors work well? I was thinking that I would leave the cluthes on it from the sled and put the secondary on the jackshaft that wouild originally run to the chaincase on the sled. Then put the front sprocket for the chain directly on the shaft with no additional transmission or gear reduction. What are some of your thoughts. How much longer swingarm would this thing need? I was thinking 700 or 800 twin, but a tripple isnt out of the question.

Tommy Warren
05-14-2009, 10:37 AM
What size of sprocket are you gonna use in place of the secondary clutch? also won't you have to offset the motor to line the clutch/sprocket with the chain?

e463x
05-14-2009, 03:45 PM
its a lot of work i would just build a 4 mil club or a 10 mil its way eayer to build.

quad97
05-14-2009, 10:31 PM
The secondary clutch will still be used. The clutches will stay on the left side, but they will stick out from the frame with an aluminum case around them. The jackshaft that the secondary goes on on the sled will be placed in relatively the same location as where the drive sprocket would be on the stock motor. The drive sprocket would then be placed on that same shaft lined up with the rear sprocket.

The banshee was bought for $500 with some motor and tranny problems. I figured that more hp and torque can be obtained with alot less money from a sled motor than dropping thousands into the banshee motor. I am a die hard motocross racer an this will be my first venture into a drag quad. I don't know much about the length of swingarm required for the horsepower or what size/how many paddles for the tires.

I am a welder and machinist so the frame modifications and custom parts are not too big of a problem. As long as there is a tach on the motor I should be able to tune the clutches to keep the motor in the powerband, just like a sled. May need an oversized radiator with a fan of some kind rigged up to keep her cool.