PDA

View Full Version : 250r lacking low end power/

greenskin77
05-14-2009, 09:06 AM
hi guys my first post on here i been reading on here and found some help but thought i ask o make sure.
ok i have a 86250r fmf fatty, reed spacer exhaut spacer open box lid, stock carb jetted, and i am pretty sure its stock bore the pistion says 50 on topp of it ? oh and its been ported butnot sure for wat .
ok my problem is there is no bottem end hal f throttel to w/o your flying cant hold on to it but as soon as u let off your done no matter how much you down shift or clutch it there no getting it back. it really sucks to onhills and not seep hills any hill you got to hit it wide open and hold your breath . even a smooth long hill if i do get third gear with a nice long run it will just kinn lose it as i am going up the hill before you no it am out of power and i m still holding it wide open it just loses it.
my first r and not sure if this is normal or not .
i did gear it lower and add a adjustable timing plate wich helped but not that much could it be the port job?? what i v been reading porting has lots to do with 2 stroks.
and i see lot talk of the pv
so any help here..
thanks

1promodfan
05-14-2009, 01:19 PM
So, are you saying there in no bottom? Like there is a "lag" then all of the sudden it hits real hard. You could have a jetting issue. Believe me, if your jetting is off, then its no fun to ride. I just got mine right this week and it was a nightmare, but now I'm really happy with it.

You say its been ported, you need to know what kind of port job it has. It could be a top-end port job. Do you have any idea what compression your running? Maybe some of the other guys will chime in too and give some advise.

Honda 250r 001
05-14-2009, 01:40 PM
im betting your jetting is off. Do you know anything about carbs? Do you need us to help you out with a starting place?

greenskin77
05-14-2009, 02:07 PM
yes i am good at carbs i no the basic s on jetting.
i hved rejetted it i got the studder out of midrange it use to have and topp end is perfect no the piolit i not sure i tryed all sizes and found no real noticble diffecne in it. but any help with jetting i m always open for tips.
and on take off it doesnt spudder or bog out just slugish kinna like hit the gas and it goes slowly untill mid to topp end then it takes off fast..
heres an exsample. i was hill climbing over the week hit this hill just find wide open,but say i get into troulbe half way up the hill an all sudden have to let off the gas for a second then hit it again well your done it wont get the power back i mean it wont break the tires loose at all you just do a wheel stand slowly then flip over if not carefull.
ok yea my compression is 185 i belive
porting i willt try to find it out but rite nowi have no idea can i tell by looking at it ?
i have a jug thats not ported i thought about putting it on and see if any diffence at all...
thanks

Honda 250r 001
05-14-2009, 02:26 PM
2-strokes are just like that man, get use to it, haha.

86 Quad R
05-14-2009, 02:29 PM
i noticed that you have an adjustable timing plate.... whats the timing set at?

leager-n-ky
05-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Did you check your compression, or are you guessing? Sounds more like low compression to me. just my 2cents worth.

1promodfan
05-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
2-strokes are just like that man, get use to it, haha.

No, 2-strokes don't run like that. Something has to be off somewhere.

Motofool250r
05-14-2009, 06:42 PM
sounds like the pilot is too fat, when you start out does it take off fast from the low to W/o and then when you loose power it cant keep it up on the low end of the power band?

there could be a couple problems a bit of a air leak that makes a big difference in low rpms, the pilot too fat and also the timing adjusted improper.

the fmf pipe doesn't help much fmf never figured out the 250r quads for much but reving.

check your reeds, and provide us the size of jets in your carb. spark plug your running.

greenskin77
05-14-2009, 09:07 PM
ok guys i have this in it.
42 pilot
172 main jet.
210 compression.
ite now i trying a chamion n-3c i did have a ngk but i dont notice any differnce.
and timing plate is at 3 degrees advanced.. but to let u no before i put the plate on it had thisproblem
and yes moto thats excatly what it is doing i couldent said it ay better.
i would do a leak down test but i never did that before do i need speacil tool or somthing ?
and i am in west virgina just so u no elevation i am at

LONG-ROD
05-14-2009, 09:18 PM
you have to run 110 with that kinda compression what size carb do you have piolet seems small. and try a BR9es, gapped at 18-20.

greenskin77
05-14-2009, 09:25 PM
110 are you sure..
but i forgot to say my pug looks perfect and for the reeds i didnt check em tonight but when i looked a them month ago there wasno name on them anywere itwasent stock cage it had reeds up and bottem and on both sides of the cage

Motofool250r
05-14-2009, 10:44 PM
sounds like the motor is tired if it wont hold your speed when pulling.

k265r
05-14-2009, 11:18 PM
I think it is a lean bog off idle try a bigger pilot jet maybe a 48. sorry i didnt have my crystal ball out to Know what the elevation in west virgina is.

1promodfan
05-15-2009, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by greenskin77
110 are you sure..
but i forgot to say my pug looks perfect and for the reeds i didnt check em tonight but when i looked a them month ago there wasno name on them anywere itwasent stock cage it had reeds up and bottem and on both sides of the cage

If your compression is 210, then yes you need to run race fuel. I had an old friend of mine say "if you want to play, you gotta pay"!!