PDA

View Full Version : does this sound good

cool 300ex
05-13-2009, 10:44 PM
I got some prices to get my yfz rebuilt. They told me for a 12:4:1 wiseco piston, rings, vavle stem seals, stage 1 porting, and the cam mod. $675 for everything and he does use a flow bench for porting. He told me if i want to add web cams it will be $600 more. I wanted hot cams and he said he doesn't recommend them. Atleast in stage 1 because of the decompression release or something like that breaking and messing things up. He said the stage 3 cams are good. But wouldn't be good for trail riding because i would loose bottom and mid power.

86 Quad R
05-14-2009, 03:39 PM
all except the price of the cams sounds about right. i'm thinking he's making a lil bit there. ;) ofcourse there is a bit of shop labor involved in stting those cams up.

btw:he is correct in regards to the stage III being a bit much for trails.

oilguy
05-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by cool 300ex
I got some prices to get my yfz rebuilt. They told me for a 12:4:1 wiseco piston, rings, vavle stem seals, stage 1 porting, and the cam mod. $675 for everything and he does use a flow bench for porting. He told me if i want to add web cams it will be $600 more. I wanted hot cams and he said he doesn't recommend them. Atleast in stage 1 because of the decompression release or something like that breaking and messing things up. He said the stage 3 cams are good. But wouldn't be good for trail riding because i would loose bottom and mid power.

he is right the more aggresive cam will move your powerband to the right of the chart, more top end, but your bottom and mid will suffer, you want a cam that is snappy on the bottom and sustain mid range,,,, unless you do need the top end which dont seem like it for your type of ridding TRAIL's

cool 300ex
05-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Will the webcams hurt my top end?

86 Quad R
05-14-2009, 04:19 PM
stage II's may be ok but i'd run atleast a 11.25:1 compression with them. :cool:

jcs003
05-14-2009, 04:35 PM
a stage 3 cam is for TT racing.

oilguy
05-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by cool 300ex
Will the webcams hurt my top end?

you have to get the right combo of cams for your setup, they can hurt top end or bottom end depending on the grind

400exMO
05-15-2009, 09:22 AM
You have to break the engine in before you put the hot cam in, so buy the hot cam yourself and install it after you break the engine in.

Also I believe the steep price for the webcam is because they are hardened. That requires hardened rockers, etc. So the price would include more parts than just the webcam.

cool 300ex
05-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Do you guys think its worth it to add the web cams? I am probley going to drop it off tomorrow.

400exMO
05-15-2009, 09:36 PM
I would just go with a hotcam. Try this question in the yfz section.

BakerRacing40
05-16-2009, 10:49 PM
if your running stock rotating assembly right now. the medium compression piston, freshening the head up, a little port and polish, and the cam mod you'll be incredibly happy with it. i'm yet to try aftermarket cams to see what i like there, but if you get the cam from the dirt bike engine (its like moving the cam a half a tooth instead of a full tooth) its a really nice.

note--- if anybody tries to do the dirt bike cam remember to do your research. the timing marks should be lined up to stock position and the half tooth mod is there...

cool 300ex
05-19-2009, 11:07 AM
I droped my quad off Sunday and i am having the piston, and port work done. I am still trying to decide on the cam mod or cams.

BakerRacing40
05-19-2009, 06:08 PM
o just remembered about a yfz that my buddy had (i hate having to refer to somebody elses stuff, but thought it might be helpful?) it was a 04 he put the crank to make a 449cc and the oil mod, a medium compression piston standard bore je it was 12 somethin to 1, with the stock cams did the cam mod, a mild port and polish, fuel customs intake, and sparks pipe.. a the dyno at Sand Trax in tulsa, ok, did some pulls to get the jetting tuned made five pulls and max hp was 51.8 and low was 50.9 .... food for thought but no two engines will make the same power and no two engine builders are the same..

cool 300ex
05-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Wow that is a damn impressive. I just can't see spending $600 for cams. Is it going to be a night and day difference?

BakerRacing40
05-19-2009, 09:05 PM
honestly i don't know how aftermarket cams do compared to the mod. just remember don't go to extreme on compression. if you get to heavy of a piston slinging around in there you loose you revs and the cdi box you have won't ever be needed. from this neck of the woods there's been quite a few fully built high comp engines blow than moderately built mid comp engines... and with the 13.5 to 1 and higher pistons you gotta be careful cause the do not last as long, breaking a piston in half and blowing it into pieces doesn't sound fun... remember your fuel also, some you can mix 91 octane with 108, 110, 112.. race fuel is 50 to 60 bucks for five gallon!!