PDA

View Full Version : unknown problem....

81 clark racing
05-13-2009, 07:44 PM
i have a 05 400ex and all of a sudden the other day i went to start it and it acted as the battery was almonst dead slowly turning over then it would make a tick as if the battery was dead. so i grabed the batter from my 03 400ex and it did the same thing...however that bAttery was fine.also sometimes when u hit the starter it will make a ticking noise by the battery then it will turn olver fine and start. then if you shut it off it will act as the bats dead, hit the starter a few more times tick tick then it will fire up. does anhyone has any ideas...? starter junk? just started doing it after puting in my hotcam thanxs

86 Quad R
05-14-2009, 03:25 PM
how are the connections? has a higher compression piston been put in it? when installing the hotcams was the compression release removed?

Tyler01
05-14-2009, 04:06 PM
On My 97 300ex mine did the same and come to find out the starter bushings in the starter went bad so you will have to replace it.

One thing to make sure it is the stator is to hold the start button and knock on the starter with something hard like a wrench and if it turns over it is the starter

86 Quad R
05-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Tyler01
On My 97 300ex mine did the same and come to find out the starter bushings in the starter went bad so you will have to replace it.

One thing to make sure it is the stator is to hold the start button and knock on the starter with something hard like a wrench and if it turns over it is the starter

that is a very good possibility and worth looking into

Originally posted by Tyler01

do NOT bang on the starter. the likelyhood of breaking those magnets in there are great. :eek2:

81 clark racing
05-14-2009, 05:37 PM
it ended up being the ground wire thanxs tho