PDA

View Full Version : Broken valve, need answers!!!!

859davidt
05-13-2009, 06:48 PM
My wife landed a small jump and it locked up. 05 Honda. Brand new Kibblewhite valves, JE Pro Series 12:5:1 piston, HRC Cam, Nothing major. Motor has 1 indoor race, and 1 National race on it. I am thinking at most 2-3 hours. Pulled it apart and intake valve was broke off and shoved up in the hole. Exaust valve bent. Brand new timing chain. I didn't check the timing before I pulled it apart. (too big of hurry to see what was wrong) Talked to Dasa and they thought maybe the head had been decked and piston hit the valve.. (its one of Byrds practice bikes) Head was not decked. Any thoughts? Some say don't use Kibblwhite. Has anyone experienced this???? HELP PLEASE!!! Don't want to waste another motor not knowing what happened.

JJs450r
05-13-2009, 08:06 PM
one thing i can think of is valves not seated properly but idk just something that came to mind first

i personally havent had any trouble with kibbles white ive ran them in all my bikes

Bwild
05-15-2009, 08:39 AM
were the right valve keepers used? intake valves are larger and maybe the exhaust keepers were used on the intake. Check that cause I've seen it before. The valve well be chewed up in and around the groove if this happened

859davidt
05-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Yes, keepers were correct. Still attatched and in good shape on that side of the stem.. Seating was correct. I think it jumped time when she landed, but not 100% sure. Some say it just could of been a bad valve.

Rich250RRacer
05-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Bwild
were the right valve keepers used? intake valves are larger and maybe the exhaust keepers were used on the intake. Check that cause I've seen it before. The valve well be chewed up in and around the groove if this happened

04-05 used the same keepers on both the intake and the exhaust. 06-newer have bigger keepers on the intake side. I think a better question is were NEW keepers used? Did it break just above the head of the valve? If so, it could be result of a decked head. Or maybe it jumped time and caused the valve to hit the piston.

859davidt
05-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Head was not decked. Has a new timing chain and gear looks good. Tensioner seems to be in good condition. Anything else you know of that could make it jump time???

eastside 400
05-16-2009, 03:38 PM
parts fiche shows that 06+ keepers are the same as 04-05 intakes, the keeper is actually smaller on the 06+ exhaust valve and the intake are the same as 04-05 both intake and exhaust

300racer
05-16-2009, 11:33 PM
i had an 04 that did the same thing i jumped a small 15ft double and when i landed it died. when i tore it apart it had jumped time and all four valves was bent not broken.

another friend of mine had a motor with less then 10 hours since rebuilt and a intake valve broke off some how when just messin around in is yard :confused?: :confused:

859davidt
05-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Sometimes she lands off the gas and I am wondering if it is possible that the split second stop of rotation could cause this???????

gixxerfreak01
05-17-2009, 07:44 PM
kibblewhite sometimes have a problem with breaking ferrea valves are the way to go