PDA

View Full Version : Rear sprocket

dragit86
05-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Hello Im new here and got a question. Iv never been happy with my gearing. I mainly ride woods and were im from (Branson MO) theres alot of ledge rock and stuff the low gearing is needed for. So I put a 13T on the front and I love it but it kills the top end big time. I tryed the stock 14T again but it was just to high. So my question is do you think a 39T rear with the stock 14T back on will kinda give me a happy median? I need something that works good on trails but also I got a lil more top end when the trail open up. Thanks

BEARAZZ
05-13-2009, 09:17 PM
I ride the woods alot also and i thought mine was to low geared for the open sections (logging roads) so i put a 36 on the rear and loved it. What i have learned from the kfx is that you have to do a little more clutching in tight stuff .

MtnEX
05-24-2009, 12:29 AM
Dude, I bought both...

13t front... 39t rear...

I haven't tried either yet though.
I am trying to iron out other things before gearing.

So that leads me to ask you... do you feel the minimum ground speed is too fast a lot of the time, even in first gear?

Or were you stalling a whole lot with the 14t ?

For me, it has been some of BOTH, so I ordered the two sprocket sizes I could find to LOWER the gearing, and I also ordered the test leads from Kawasaki so I could take my digital meter and go over the EFI items.

I adjusted my throttle position sensor because it needed it. Now I'm holding for clear enough weather to see where I am now.

Anyways, if it is a stalling issue, you may want to consider going over your EFI as well... or if you have a good dealer shop, let them...

Myself, I also just happen to think that the actual trans ratios seem a little high in 1st and a little low for 5th.

Myself, I'd like to see a 6 speed... a stock 5 speed with one lower gear in the trans. That would be nice for us, but we'll never see it.

Endo636
07-29-2009, 08:50 PM
well here is my problem... i went from the stock 20x10x9 to the 18x10x9 rear tires... that basically erased my already too short second gear.. so i went up to a 15 t in front thinking it would help... it brought back my gear but kills me in top end... i was thinking of going to a 19 in rear... i love my 18's with the 15t on the track but if i get any where that requires balls in 5th gear im destroyed.. anyone have any suggestions as to a gear ratio combined with tires that wont lose seconds on the track and still allows me my top end?
Thanks

MtnEX
07-30-2009, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Endo636
well here is my problem... i went from the stock 20x10x9 to the 18x10x9 rear tires... that basically erased my already too short second gear.. so i went up to a 15 t in front thinking it would help... it brought back my gear but kills me in top end... i was thinking of going to a 19 in rear... i love my 18's with the 15t on the track but if i get any where that requires balls in 5th gear im destroyed.. anyone have any suggestions as to a gear ratio combined with tires that wont lose seconds on the track and still allows me my top end?
Thanks

Well, I am going to share an experience with you that I think is related, and maybe it will help you in some way.

To be honest, I felt like the transmission gearing for the gears was a bit too tall for rolling into the throttle on the bottom end of a gear (touchy TPS doesn't help either) BUT at the same time I also felt my gears wound out quick already, and seemed very close ratio from one to another to top it off.

I mean I would shift a gear and it would wind up so quick I'd swear I didn't catch the next gear if I didn't know better.

Is this seeming familiar to you?

Mine was that way to me bone stock... and I think worse maybe once I got good biting tires.

Of all the dang things, to be honest with you... I added a really good exhaust recently and those manners have totally changed.

It's been a remarkable change in all honesty. The range of all my gears is sooo much longer now.

Bottom line is I've gained extra useable range on BOTH ends of each gear. I can pull each one out a lot stronger from a lower RPM rolling on the throttle... gaining effective range on the bottom.... and also now, it does not seem to wind up so fast like a bawling rev-box, and every gear pulls hard so much farther and higher before I have the urge to shift.

So I'm loving it.

Point being, maybe what you need to do is add some torque, HP, and extend your usable RPM closer to red line.

Works for me.

KAWIRYDER
07-30-2009, 09:01 AM
I am having the same problem while riding the tight trails here. I was also thinking about doing the rear sprocket as well. Oh I also have the full exhaust and pcIII and K&N filter and while that did help, it made the power way to aggressive when I want to tap the throttle to pop over a log or wheelie over a water bar. Maybe I need a better tire or try tuning the suspension better, but I would love to hear about changing the rear sprocket because that may be something I will need to do.

Endo636
07-31-2009, 02:15 PM
i have a fell dasa exhaust , dynatec ignition with a procom rev box and a velocity intake tuned with a juice box... My power has only helped me get to my top end quicker , has done very little for me on the top and thats because of my gearing.. All the pro am riders are using different gearing and asking some of them has not been very helpful.. my problem is finding amid point on the gearing to keep my amazing low end and add some top end to the mix , cause right now 400s can keep with me on the top end but i take the whole shot on just about anything