PDA

View Full Version : DS90X Shifting

liquidlouie
05-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Just purchased my son a new DS90X, but it doesn't want to shift out of (N)eutral into (F)orward gear. Also, if he puts it into (R)everse and then tries to go into (F)orward, it will not let him. The shift-rod will fall short of the slot on the bracket. However, if we roll the quad forward slighty it will allow him to engage the shifter. I also noticed that if I am sitting on the machine it will shift okay (sometimes), but once my son gets on it it will no longer shift. I'm not sure what weight would have to do with it...?? Anyways, we traded-in his DS90 for the "X" model and we never had an issue with his other machine. Any ideas...?? I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks

05-17-2009, 09:42 PM
My 4yr. old son has a DS 90. It also shifts hard, sometimes good, sometimes not. I feel the same way you do.

05-17-2009, 10:45 PM
For got to tell you, my boy has over 100 hrs. on his wheeler, so I put synthectic (sp?) oil in it now. I will let you know if it makes a smoother shift.

05-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Seems to have gotten 50% better with synthectic oil. Still jams once in a while. Not near as much.

liquidlouie
05-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the input. I spoke with the dealer about it, and he stated that it is a "break-in" type of thing because the tolerances are so close..? He said even the bigger Can-Am machines have the same issue. He told me to have my son move his butt around on the seat if it doesn't shift, and that seams to have done the trick. I'm hoping it will "wear-in" over time, but I will switch to synthetic on the next oil change and see if it makes a difference.

05-30-2009, 01:36 AM
I dont know how old your son is, mine is 4 yrs. but I personally can not emagine "wiggling my but aroud on the seat"., as your dealer says. I have ridden for yrs. Sinthectic (sp)? oil made a word of differance in my boys wheeler. Just make sure you have over 100 hrs on it before you put it in. Hope it helps. Doug.
P.S. never trust dealers!