PDA

View Full Version : Cant Bleed Brakes ?!?!

honda_runner
05-13-2009, 02:08 PM
I just rebuilt my front master cylinder, got new galfer stainless lines, and now I cannot get any brake fuild to go down the lines. No matter what i try, gravity bleed, or pumping the lever... nothing works, fluid never leaves the master cyclinder. Its driving me nuts!

Any Ideas???

fishnfergie
05-13-2009, 02:41 PM
You are opening the bleeder on the caliper right?

honda_runner
05-13-2009, 02:47 PM
yes, I can leave them both open and nothing happens.

brodzowski
05-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Open the bleeder? If you can find a piece of tubing or hose that will tightly fit around the bleeder you can use some mouth suction to get the process started but honestly with that much replacement it should have bled by gravity. Take the bleeder all the way out and make sure it's clear of mud and dirt. Make sure you can blow through it. That's all I can think of.

honda_runner
05-13-2009, 03:03 PM
maybe something stuck in the new lines, i will try using the hose today... my buddy (mechanic) was helping me, and he said they should gravity bleed no problem. We did the rear one in like 5 mins.

sheldo
05-13-2009, 03:22 PM
I think u have a air bubble in your banjo bolt try loosing it and pump the lever until u get a good flow then tighten it

RaginRedneck
05-13-2009, 03:33 PM
When I installed my new stainless brake lines I had a problem bleeding them too. So I cracked the line from the master cylinder to the T, at the T, until I got fluid, then I reconnected it.

From there they I was able to bleed them in a few minutes. Give that a shot. Not sure the reason, air bubble in the T??

honda_runner
05-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by RaginRedneck
When I installed my new stainless brake lines I had a problem bleeding them too. So I cracked the line from the master cylinder to the T, at the T, until I got fluid, then I reconnected it.

From there they I was able to bleed them in a few minutes. Give that a shot. Not sure the reason, air bubble in the T??

thank u sir! will do, and will let ya know tomarrow if it worked

fauxamish
05-13-2009, 04:56 PM
I had the same problem when I replaced my lines. I couldn't even get it to come out of the master cylinder. Take some hose (search on here for the size...) and put it over a bleeder valve that is loose. Then suck until it just starts to come into the hose. Watch the fluid level in the master cylinder.

Honda#4
05-13-2009, 07:55 PM
I had the same problem when I bought my lines it got vapor locked at the master cylinder so I cracked that open and fluid sprayed every where.

Red02EX
05-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Just make your own "One man bleeder". Get a clear piece of hose and squirt bottle top. The rest is self explanatory.

honda_runner
05-13-2009, 10:55 PM
ok, still nothing

I just worked on it for about 3 Hours

-I checked and blew air through each hose
-I took apart the master cylinder again
-changed all washers to copper crush washers

No leaks anywhere

-I do get pressure straight out of master cylinder
-I used the hose trick, and didn't get air or anything

any more ideas?

RaginRedneck
05-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Wow, if you get pressure out of the master cylinder, I don't know what to tell you. You can dry pouring brake fluid directly into the top hose and then using air pressure to push it to the the bleeder screws.

You have both bleeder screws open right?

RIDEREDson
05-14-2009, 02:33 AM
I had the same problem. Go get a vacuum bleeder. You have a vapor lock.

Zip-tie the lever to the bars.

Get a vacuum bleeder.

Put it on one bleeder valve, pump till you have tons of pressure on the vacuum built up. Then crack that bleeder valve.... While other one is closed.. then vice/versa

It'll create a "vacuum" and you'll see all kinds of bubbles going through the hose.

NEVER EVER open the bleeder valves with the brake lever not squeezed.

bigbad400
05-14-2009, 06:30 AM
^^^^^ thats how you do it, the vacume bleeder is like 30 at auto zone or whatever. youll never have a problem with brakes again. only ever crack one bleeder at a time your not two people and your not doing anything but allowing more air to enter the lines, you need pressure on the bleeder befor you ever crack it open, that way it sucks it out without no bubbles going back in. power bleeder is the way to go. took me ten mins to change master cylinder and both calipers and bleed em all out. and i still have rock solid brakes.

bigbad400
05-14-2009, 06:37 AM
btw you need to open your master cylinder fluid holder and make sure it dont get empty or your just pulling more air in from the top, its best to have someone there with fluid to keep toppin it off for you.

once you get fluid comming out you can bleed them to pressure up good the old fashion way or keep going with it till you get it with the bleeder

RIDEREDson
05-14-2009, 10:28 AM
^^ Its definitely worth 30 bucks. You'll be done in minutes.

dunatic
05-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by honda_runner
ok, still nothing

I just worked on it for about 3 Hours

-I checked and blew air through each hose
-I took apart the master cylinder again
-changed all washers to copper crush washers

No leaks anywhere

-I do get pressure straight out of master cylinder
-I used the hose trick, and didn't get air or anything

any more ideas?

harbor freight.....$39.95, vacuum brake bleeder. never fails...works every time.

rent to to your friends for $5 and it will pay for itself in no time.

honda_runner
05-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanx guys! I will be getting a vacuum bleeder soon! My buddy might bring one from work, he works for NTB.

honda_runner
05-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Yay! I went to autozone and picked up their $30 vacuum pump. Worked great! At about 15psi the fluid started going down.