PDA

View Full Version : Predator 50 ELECTRIC Starting problems

Dirtmerchant
05-13-2009, 09:10 AM
I have a problem with my sons Predator 50 electric starter. I think the bike is an 06 but not sure, it is the last year of the 2 Stroke.

The bike is about 3 years old and has always been VERY hard to start cold, chock, no chock, throttle, little throttle, well, you get the idea.

About a month ago the electric starter quit working, the battery is original but is holding a charge at about 12.4 volts I took the battery to a local motorcycle shop and they used a full sized auto draw down tester and said it was bad but I don't think that is appropriate to use on such a small capacity battery although it did hold green for a second or two...

When pushing the starter button all you get is a starter click as it engages but will not turn the motor just dims the tail light but not totally dark.

I decided to pull the starter off, it would spin fine off the bike. I pulled the starter apart thinking the brushes may be worn since it is such a bear to start and requires a lot of spinning to fire. To make a long story longer, while the brushes looked a bit worn they weren't bad but I managed to damage them putting the starter back together again. I am going to pic the starter up from the shop in a day or two but I have a feeling that I'm going to be starting back at square one. I had thought about pulling the side cover off the drive to see if anything looks hung up in there but really just grasping at straws. :confused:

Anyone have any ideas as to where my problems is with the starter?

Secondly, are these bikes all such a bear to get started cold? I picked up a new spark plug but I think is likely more due to fuel delivery.

Dirtmerchant
06-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Bike is back together and running better then new.

As it turns out, it was the needle bearings on the Starter Drive were jammed up with crud. I cleaned the bearing up, used sandpaper on the metal parts, put a light film of grease on everything and put it back together.

Also, put a fresh NGK plug in and pulled the carb apart and cleaned everything up with good spray carb cleaner. I adjusted the air mixture setting and it will now fire off on the first kick. :D