PDA

View Full Version : No-Link Set Up

Honda 250r 001
05-13-2009, 08:49 AM
Last night i took my shock off and the linkage. I started thinking about a no-link set up and i tried putting my stock shock on as a no link. Hell it almost works! All i need to do re weld a new mount on the swingarm, or get a different clevis to put on the bottom of the shock thats narrower.

When i mounted my shock, i measured and got an amazing 12 inches of travel! Is the 400ex or 450r clevis narrower? Anything that will thread on the shock so i can mount it. Amazingly everything was perfect, it didnt go down to far and hit the airbox or go up to high and look stupid. It was perfect.

The only problem is the valving is a bit off, the shock is slightly soft as it is with the stock valving.

So I was thinking about making a kit and selling it. It would include the modified clevis for the bottom of the shock, the valve and springs and modifying the swingarm if needed.

But thats not all, If could modify the swingarm and remove the top out spring in the shock and it would have almost 14 inches of travel!

Any of you think this is a good idea for the average guy on a budget?

racerx573
05-13-2009, 11:48 AM
The leverage ratios will be a bit drastic if intended for MX, that's why the aftermarket swingers (Roll, LSR, etc) mount the shock towards the bottom of the swingarm, it keeps the shock. Your idea would be great for flat track/TT... but MX not so much, as it will not allow a whole lot of wheel travel. Most MXers like the CR style links or the LST and Roll set ups, because it allows the shock to be more upright to allow better wheel travel.

Honda 250r 001
05-13-2009, 01:00 PM
i measured last night and i got 12 inches of travel with my stock shock. i was planning on making new mounts on the swingarm but should i make them closer to the front of the swingarm or farther back?

I would like to find out where the aftermarket companies put their mounts and put mine in a similar spot.

1promodfan
05-13-2009, 03:10 PM
^^^^^^Man you spend more time trying to figure out crap than you do riding. If you want a no-link setp, just go out and buy one. You wanna try this and try that. Nothing wrong with experimenting a little, but jees man, JUST RIDE!!!! You have more posts on two sites than I have on the 5 different sites I go on.

When I was 15 yrs. old all I wanted to do is RIDE!!! It would be different if you raced on a National Circuit.

Honda 250r 001
05-14-2009, 10:35 AM
damn right it would, but my ****ing parents wont let me ride at all because of my grades.

mineralgrey01gt
05-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
damn right it would, but my ****ing parents wont let me ride at all because of my grades.

do better in school :chinese:

also banshee shock works for no link but you need a no link swingarm, dont forget that

Honda 250r 001
05-14-2009, 01:15 PM
ive pretty much given up on the whole thing for now, maybe i will try again later.