PDA

View Full Version : thinking about getting a 250r what do i expect?

400exrider_88
05-12-2009, 11:10 PM
tommorow i am planning on trading my 400ex for a 250r
what should i be looking for to tell if something is wrong with it?

any advise would be great before i bring this home and relize i got screwed over

pdxbigfoot
05-13-2009, 12:30 AM
I would look for things such as..
Decent compression 175-200??
Broken, repaired cases.

Most of the time there will be breaks by the front sprocket where the "case saver" bolts to the left case. Also look for stripped drain plugs and broken off intake and exhaust bolts.

Cracked and repaired frames.
Inspect all motor mounts, welds around the top steering stem clamp, subframe to main frame merge, rear sub frame supports by the rear seat mounting gromets, front a-arm mounts, head stay, swingarm pivot bolt area and the swinger itself.
Look for any cracked paint or powder which might indicate a stress bend.
Stand the bike up on its grab bar (turn the gas off 1st) and look for large gouges, bends or crushed bottom tubes.

Pull the air filter off and run a paper towel down the carb boot to see if there are any particles such as sand, it will also give you a idea of the kind of routine maitinence done to the bike.

Check all the bearings for play.
Steering stem (top and bottom), rear axle carrier, swinger, wheel, linkage and shock, also a good time to look for play in the tie rod ends, ball joints.

Drivetrain.
Check the chain,sprockets,and brake pad's for excessive wear. Axle should be spun to look for bends and listen to the whole unit spin.
Cosmetics are a givin and you should be able to tell what kind of life the bike has had just by using common sense and a keen eye.

Take your time and dont let the excitement of getting a new R let you overlook important detail's.

What else you guys??
I wish i had 3 or 4 EX's i could trade ffor more R's

:devil:

400exrider_88
05-13-2009, 02:38 PM
got it today looks pretty good, needs to be restored because its all original but it runs great

ehorst33
05-13-2009, 02:41 PM
got any pics ,, just curious i just bought my first one a month ago

400exrider_88
05-13-2009, 02:44 PM
think it will need new plastics and the frame needs to be powdercoated

400exrider_88
05-13-2009, 10:41 PM
how much am i looking at spending to restore this?
new plastics
powdercoat the frame
+2 aarms - roll design, any brand, doesnt matter too much
front shocks= PEP or fox
PEP or Fox rear shock
450r swingarm and lonestar extended axle
AC bumper
AC nerfs
new grab bar
new pipe
possibly a clutch

how much are aluminum frames?

the case was broken where the case saver bolted on any fixing this?

this project may take a few years...

mineralgrey01gt
05-14-2009, 03:31 AM
your gonna put a good chunk of money into it. The roll design front is $1300 just for the arms. New plastics will run from $400-$500+ depending on the brand. Since its an 87, make sure the rear motor mount is in before you have to buy another frame, trust me i know from experience. AC grab bar will be a tough one to get. I had to wait 6 months for mine to come in, not enough demand for them anymore. From the looks you dont need a new pipe but go with ESR if you do, they are very good. The shocks will run upwards of $800-$1200 for front and about the same for rear. Aftermarket frames now adays depending on the condition can be well over $1000. They are fun bikes but can be costly at times but are well worth it. Im in the process of building another

trx310R#24
05-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider_88
think it will need new plastics and the frame needs to be powdercoated

sell them rims. someone will pay good money for them.. stock gold. most of them have been painted...