PDA

View Full Version : i have a problem....

speedy400
01-02-2003, 09:08 PM
Alright I'm not the best at describing stuff, so I'll try my best..
OK,I am in the prosses of taking off the axle to replace my bearings if need be,I am to the part where I take off the 2 locknuts that are on that spline that connects to the splines on the axle,and I've taken off the metal ring,I've tried to take off the nuts by bolth twisting them off and pulling them straight off with the spline thing(under them)...I can't get them off. Am I doing something wrong? Or is something wrong with the axle?
also-the spline thing and nuts are loose and sorry about my bad use of english.

optikid123
01-02-2003, 09:12 PM
so what your saying is you cant get the locknut off. i hope

spray wd40 all over it and try again

speedy400
01-02-2003, 09:14 PM
no its not that, i seems like when i try to spin them off(with a wrench) it just gets very hard to get them off like the splines are trying to dig into the metal..?? if that makes any sence,thanks

JOEX
01-02-2003, 09:16 PM
This is in the FAQ forum
http://www.atvconnection.com/atvconnection/Departments/SportZone/The-Unseen-Modification.cfm?cs_LoginTime=214634

I belive the lock nut is left hand thread...not positive though.
I'll be doing this myself soon.

Joe

redrider ex
01-02-2003, 09:27 PM
If you have the ring off then it should come off so get a brass hammer and hit the end of the axle and it should come out.

speedy400
01-03-2003, 05:53 AM
I know it is left handed threds but it just wont come off?and when you try to slide it off it makes a clinking sound like the splines thing is hitting metal head on, not just coming to a stop.

01-03-2003, 06:25 AM
I think you need to take some pics of what your not describing very well.

If you turn the nuts to the right they should come off towards the wheel.

Take them off one at a time also.

Predator36
01-03-2003, 06:50 AM
I have seen the snap ring mushroom the axle making it to large for the lock nut asssembly to slide off. When this happens you will need to push the lock nut assembly back in as far as possible and file the axle down where it mushroomed up.

redrider ex
01-03-2003, 09:51 AM
I was just fixing to say that , my old 300 ex done that before and i took a dremal and ground around the grouve that the ring fits in and it came right off