PDA

View Full Version : got some wheel play

uchi
05-12-2009, 03:03 PM
so i was checking things out last night and noticed i have a little bit of play when i grab the top and bottom of the wheel and move it. how much play if any is normal? i havent had the wheels off to see how things work but im assuming its a spindle between 2 wheel bearings and a locking nut of some kind, so some play might be present as the nut shouldnt be on too tight. would this be correct? also i noticed the camber is out on one of my wheels. how can i fix this?

honda400ex2003
05-12-2009, 05:32 PM
I think it is either wheel bearings or the ball joints on your arms. I would say the wheel bearings are out if just the tire is moving up and down. The bolt should be tight enough to be torqued down a bit. I am not sure what it is off hand though. If you have stock arms and the tire is out on the bottom compared to the top it is not adjustable. The camber may be off since the bearings are shot. Steve

uchi
05-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Alright thanks steve. Looks like I found another project for myself. Haha.

honda400ex2003
05-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Yup, i always find something around our resort to do. steve

RIDEREDson
05-13-2009, 10:46 AM
If you have stock arms, you cannot adjust your camber. Take off the front wheel, remove the cotter pin, and make sure the castle nut is tight as it can go.

It may not be camber that is off but rather Toe-in. That you can adjust by loosening the jam-nuts on your tie-rods.

uchi
05-13-2009, 10:52 AM
The toe is off a bit aswell. Same wheel. I hit a rut wrong at a low speed and it jammed the wheelsideways. So one wheel points in a bit more than the other. Ill get that sorted out and see if it fixeds the camber issue.

You're refering to the castle nut on the spindle right? I didn't think it was good to over tighten those nuts. Ill give her a god this weekend while I'm doing my timing key. Thanks for the info guys.