PDA

View Full Version : Break-in Jetting

IcutMetl
05-12-2009, 02:23 PM
As I'm breaking my motor in, what should I pay attention for as far as jetting changes & power characteristics?

I have a 38pj, open airbox, .060 Wiseco, midrange porting, FMF Fatty, 195psi compression, 50/50 of 110 & premium, 40:1 S.Techniplate & Engine Ice in the radiator. Started out with 180main & 60 pilot. I know the needle is middle clip, I think it's a CEJ??? Airscrew is 2 turns out. People have reccomended the DGH needle, 175+/- main, and mid 50's on the pilot. What changes from the CEJ to DGH?

I did plenty of 15min. warm up/cool down sessions, and have about 3/4 tank thru it of mixed riding. Seeming to smooth out well and fires right up on a kick or two. Pulls good, unless you crack it right off the bottom- stutters just a little. Much better all-around power- I can actually use throttle control now instead of having a 'light switch' powerband. In 3rd, I can seem to power the front end up when it's up in the rev's a little.

I haven't ripped it top end much, but it seems like I might need to lean out a bit there too. One thing I noticed is that the right off bottom response faded a bit thru the afternoon. Not bad, and still better than when I had a stock port & Hi-Rev pipe. I attribute this to the motor breaking in and jetting needing work.