PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions, bars and carbs

superelmer
05-12-2009, 12:26 PM
1. Putting new bars on the wife's '04. Nephew flipped it and killed the old ones. Do you drill a hole for the light/start switch box to mount, or dremel off the plastic "peg" that keeps it from spinning on the bars? if so, what do you put in to keep it from spinning? piece of rubber or something? bars are aluminum, not stockers. i've heard opinions of both, what do you all run?

2. Put HMF slip on and K&N on the same bike. Jetted to 165 Keihin(per HMF) and moved the needle clip one notch richer. Pilot is a 42, stock otherwise. after running for a bit, fuel pours out of the overflow tube (near the shock). especially after it's turned off. took it apart back at camp, put clip back to stock position, was better, but happened again later in the day. float issue? jetting issue? my bike is identical to wife's, did the same mods, ran like a champ....

thanks!
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/superelmer/gorman7.jpg

Snipe
05-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Im curious about the bars myself I want to know what ppl do with all there stuff just as kill switch lights where they move there ignotion and all that stuff.

As for the carb it is def the float. You can either try bending it up a tad so it will shut off easier but might take a few of bending to get it right as if its bent to far it will shut off to soon or not soon enough.

Might be easier just to buy a new float.

BEAVER.989
05-12-2009, 04:11 PM
I purchased a set of Pro Taper Conours and a Trailtech clamp from Motosport. It included everything needed to relocate the ignition and lights and allowed me to upgrad to 1 1/8" bars for $139.99. Other members have gotten creative and made their own mounting plates and whatnot, but this was an easy solution for me.

As for the accessories, I dremeled the plastic, rather than drilling a hole in my bars. Everything still fits tight enough not to spin.

wykyd450R
05-12-2009, 04:32 PM
I have always just cut the peg off with a razor knife.

superelmer
05-12-2009, 06:03 PM
found a lump of mush under the float needle today. cleaned, put together, ran fine for awhile. no overflow no matter what i did. put all the plastics back on, reassembled to show to the wifey when she got home. fired it up, overflowed like a mother the whole time. just by turning the fuel tank valve on or off, it'll leak out the overflow, almost like it's a straight line thru. maybe i've got some crud in the tank, and another piece made it's way into the float needle area? i left the tank in the on position, and bounced/slammed the back of the bike as hard as i could, made no difference. didn't dislodge anything...gas just pours out...

Snipe
05-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Float is sticking. Take her apart and spray some cleaner in there. Drain the tank through some mesh and clean the tank out.

I would say there might be something in there as well.

Honda#4
05-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Sounds mostly like a float problem, flush the tank and clean all the jets and you should be good to go. About the peg on the starter, orginally I just dremeled it off but them I removed the "black blob" and replaced it with a KX dirt bike killswitch, looks much cleaner that way but its not worth it if you like to run the lights.